Cub Cadet Blade Change question.

solefate

Threads
I am doing my first blade change today after putting new spindles maybe a year ago or a bit longer. I'm not sure if I didn't tighten the blades down enough the first time, or if I just hit something tough enough, but the star pattern on my spindles have been ground down and smashed outwards to where the blades no longer fit actually on them. It mows fine with no clatter with the old blades. My question is should I either a) buy new spindles b) grind the star tits down to where the blade can fit over it again or c) tighten the crap out of my nuts and call it good.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely the blades slipped off the stars and when you tightened the blades down it smashed them. You can try grinding the mushroomed area down and get the blades to fit, Since the spindles are that new, I would see if there are replacement shafts available and go that route.

solefate

Threads
Sounds like a plan, much appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a plan, much appreciated.

You can run the mower with the spindle mashed like it is.
Not uncommon to find one like that when owners use big rattle guns to change the blades.
Just so long as the blade sits dead central it will work fine. without any damage.
If you start to do large heavy cuts then it can get overwhelmed and slip.
A lot of mower blades have round spindles.
The star pattern just makes sure the blade is in the proper position and allows the use of a looser fitting retainer.
Otherwise a spindle shaft is only around the $ 15 mark and about 1/2 hour to replace as you can do it with the housing in the deck.
Aftermarket ones are made in Korea and have metric threads so if you go that way be careful when changing the blades so you don't mix up the nuts & bolts.

solefate

Threads
I chipped away at the star and got the blades to where when I spun it, it would stop when it found the star. Though it was not perfect. It sounds like the blades are tapping each other occasionally when mowing. (Sounds almost likes running over a small stick, though im mowing clean grass.) I checked it out and couldnt see any damage to either blade. Also the mower seems to be cutting unlevel. Not sure if the two are related or if I need to adjust the deck somehow? It mowed level before the new blades. Never had this much trouble from something so simple lol.

How do I determine what shaft to get? Measure?

/e My spindles have loosened up or have worn down the deck. I can move the spindle about 1/8 of an inch or so in any direction. The bolts feel as if they're to the point of stripping so not sure if I can tighten them any more.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the model number of the mower from under the seat. If you can move the spindles on the deck something isn't tight. May try tightening and see if they move. Possible the uneven mowing is because the blades are not sitting on the stars correctly.

Bert, I wouldn't call the 80-100 ft/lb recommended torque looser fitting (some sarcasm involved). the star pattern is a pain in the rear not only on MTD products but also the Husqvarna products. Blades slip when tightening the bolt or nut and then when final tightening is done, the star gets destroyed. That little shoulder on the Dixon spindles isn't better. Blade not tightened correctly and the shoulder is gone, making it harder to center the blade.

solefate

Threads
What is the model number of the mower from under the seat. If you can move the spindles on the deck something isn't tight. May try tightening and see if they move. Possible the uneven mowing is because the blades are not sitting on the stars correctly.

Bert, I wouldn't call the 80-100 ft/lb recommended torque looser fitting (some sarcasm involved). the star pattern is a pain in the rear not only on MTD products but also the Husqvarna products. Blades slip when tightening the bolt or nut and then when final tightening is done, the star gets destroyed. That little shoulder on the Dixon spindles isn't better. Blade not tightened correctly and the shoulder is gone, making it harder to center the blade.

17AE2ACG010 - Cub Cadet RZT 42" Zero-Turn Mower, Kohler (2010)

This is the spindle I put on https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/universal/285936

Are you guys saying I should invest in a torque wrench or just stay away from the impact? Lol

I will tighten up my spindles as much as I can tomorrow. Hopefully the bolts don't strip out!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't find a shaft as an aftermarket part but the shaft part number to the OEM part is 738-1010A Around $20 each