Runs, then won't start

lackwe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not much of a mechanic. Our rider will start from cold (like at the beginning of the day), you can be cutting the grass, shut it off, it'll restart...but intermittently, at the end of the day...it won't start when we go to put it away. It turns over, but doesn't seem to fire. We let it sit and cool (or clear out the carburetor of excess gas), but it still won't start. I've replaced the plugs, the wires seem to snap on tightly, we've tried different gas cans (so we don't think it's the gas). I'm thinking it has to be something either in the carburetor or in the ignition. I have no idea what to try next. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Tinkerer200

Threads
I would try shutting the gas off a few seconds before shutting off the engine. No shut off? Might consider adding one. Could clamp gasoline with vise grips. I suspect gas is getting into cylinder after shutting off and flooding it temporarily.

Walt Conner

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be careful about clamping the fuel line on the newer mowers with the low permeation fuel lines because holding the line closed can cause the inner liner to separate and cause later problems.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would really really help if we knew what mower and which engine.
Classic example is a customer who not being used to a Honda engined mower was filling the oil to the level indicated on the dip stick, fully done up, thus the oil level was just low enough that the mower would start when cold & and all the oil was in the sump, but would not start hot when the oil was distributed around the engine and of course once it sat for an hour it would start again.
Similar with a Kawasaki engine with oil cut out that would always stop going up hills.
Another customer with a gravity fed engine was always bringing it in for service because the mower used to cut out when mowing around his dam.
Ended up being such a slope that the carb was higher than the fuel if the tank was less than 2/3 full so it simply starved.
Right now I have a Honda 4120 in that would continually backfire but not start, ended up being nothing more than a throttle cable that was rusted solid.

lackwe

Forum Newbie
Threads
It would really really help if we knew what mower and which engine.
Classic example is a customer who not being used to a Honda engined mower was filling the oil to the level indicated on the dip stick, fully done up, thus the oil level was just low enough that the mower would start when cold & and all the oil was in the sump, but would not start hot when the oil was distributed around the engine and of course once it sat for an hour it would start again.
Similar with a Kawasaki engine with oil cut out that would always stop going up hills.
Another customer with a gravity fed engine was always bringing it in for service because the mower used to cut out when mowing around his dam.
Ended up being such a slope that the carb was higher than the fuel if the tank was less than 2/3 full so it simply starved.
Right now I have a Honda 4120 in that would continually backfire but not start, ended up being nothing more than a throttle cable that was rusted solid.

The mower is a RanchKing Model number RK185H46A 18.5 HP 46"

The engine is Model L12D707 Type 2280E1 Code 9903225B.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spend $ 20 and get an in line orange neon tube spark tester.
Fit it to the engine then go mow.
When you are having problems look at the tester.
Flashes when cranking = fuel problem
No flashes = coil problem / wiring problem.

If it flashes but does not start spray a LITTLE starter fluid into the carb and try again
Engine fires = fuel delivery problem

Do this then get back to us and we will send you down the right path.