Dead flowers

Zeroturn

Threads
Do you dead-head your flowers? Do they really come back? What should we do with our dead bleeding heart? I've heard some say you should cut it back so it will grow the next year.

Bessy

Threads
I dead head my flowers and they seem to bloom again. As for the bleeding heart, I literally do nothing with mine and it always looks nice and has great blooms.

Zeroturn

Threads
I usually do nothing with my bleeding heart too, but this year it is looking pretty sad quick! I'm thinking if I cut it back it might bloom again this season? I don't know though.

Janie

Threads
Bleeding heart will only bloom once a year, at least that's been my experience with it. I always cut it back when it's finished doing it's thing. I have one of the fern leaf types and it does the same thing but they always come back the next year.

Zeroturn

Threads
Well I hope mine comes back next year too. It's usually so big and pretty and this year it kind of just fizzled out. My flowers were not as gorgeous this year. It's sad with all the work you put into them.

Zeroturn

Threads
I went through and dead-headed a bunch of mini sunflowers and they are coming back. It's a pain to be honest to have to weed the gardens and then dead-head too but I love the fresh new flowers that come out.

henry

Threads
I feel like an idiot for not knowing this but I can not help my curiosity. Can you tell me what dead heading your flowers is? It does sound rather sad even though I do not know what it is.

monica123

Threads
Dead heading is just picking off the dead blooms of the plants in hopes to encourage new growth, sometimes it does work, other times it does not, depends on which plant you are dead heading.