Murray 309029x92 No spark, not ignition module or spark plug

Mikecouil

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Murray 309029x92 No spark, not ignition module or spark plug
Picked this up used to hopefully last me while I figure out why I can't get the WeedeaterOne started (In another thread). Was mowing great then suddenly killed out. Wouldn't start (acted like dead battery). Put cables on it and it turned over but wouldn't start. Tested for spark and I get no spark with ignition module in and I do get spark when ignition module is unplugged.

The battery was unsecured and may have touched the nuts going into the rear of the engine. Would that have shorted something? What do I test from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
check any fuses you find. Most likely nothing was hurt if they shorted, but could of killed the battery, and overloaded the charging system and cooked it. Also having spark with the ignition module unplugged indicated that something is grounding the kill circuit in the tractor. Seat switch, bare wire to ground on the kill wire. Other bad safety switched.

there were a few Murrays that wouldn't spark if you were not on the seat, even though the engine would crank.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mower wiring 101
Power usually goes from the hot side of the starter solenoid .
1) through a fuse
2) the the B ( = battery) terminal on the ignition switch ( tiny numbers under the switch )
3) to S (= Start) terminal on the switch
4) the the PTO switch or PTO safety switch on manual PTO's
5) to the brake safety switch
6) to the trigger wire on the solenoid.
This is a daisy chain so a break anywhere = no cranking
If the solenoid has only 1 small wire then the ground is via the case which will benefit from a clean where it contacts the body of the mower to get a good contact.

The ignition control can either be on the key switch
M + G = off
or on the throttle plate.
follow the thin wire from the coil
This is a ground wire.
Ground = off
Open circuit = on

Mikecouil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to both of you. I will start tracing wiring down tonight beginning with fuses.

Mikecouil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled it all apart and started from the battery on. Fuse never blew but somehow a bunch of crud got in the area and it stopped making contact. All is good now. Thanks for the tips.