Towing Pushing a Cheetah

mcdonell

Threads
The other day, I thought an OSHA switch was bad but the intermittent cranking problem turned out to be a bad battery. Anyway, I was broke down in a field in the hot Texas sun.

I wanted to push the Cheetah about 500 ft to my garage but I could not find the transaxle release valve shown in the owners manual. I later asked my dealer to show me the valves. After a couple of employees discussed the matter, they showed me the separate valve on each of the 5400 axles. I was shocked to learn that Scag thought I should crawl under the mower and turn a slot with a screw driver just to push it.

My question is, would it hurt the Scag Cheetah to simply pull it off or on a trailer, without disengaging the hydraulic axles? The dealer acted like he wasn't sure but warned not to push it far or very fast in any case. What are your thoughts?

NOTE::
BTW, I learned on a forum that a couple of us guys can stand on the back of the Cheetah and lift the front end high off the ground. Once the front of the mower is in the air, I can hold it while the other guy throws a jack stand under the front. Comes in handy for quick easy access to the underside of the mower and blades.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not move the mower without the bypass valves open. By the way, The drives are not made by Scag. I believe they are parkers in your case.

mcdonell

Threads
I guess I will have to come up with a dolly solution. It would be easier and safer to just jack up the back and set the rear wheels on a dolly.

2 negatives I have found with the Cheetah.

a. The fuel tanks are in the way to use an impact to change the two outside blades.

b. Major effort required to disengage hydraulics in order to push the mower.