Buying Advice Best Mower for Steep Slopes

gr8t73

Forum Newbie
Threads
My yard is about an 1 1/2 acres and I have several areas with steep slopes. My question is what type of mower is best suited for these slopes. I was thinking a zero turn mower as look as though they have a low center of gravity. I currently have a JD X300 and it does OK.:rolleyes:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
My yard is about an 1 1/2 acres and I have several areas with steep slopes. My question is what type of mower is best suited for these slopes. I was thinking a zero turn mower as look as though they have a low center of gravity. I currently have a JD X300 and it does OK.:rolleyes:
goats

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Zero turns are not designed for slopes at all. If you do not know that then you really need to stay away from them. Now Toro makes a stander that is great for slopes. It does zero turn but you stand on it not sit. It can also convert to a walk behind for the real steep slops.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very steep slopes are dangerous for vertical shaft mower engines.
You can easily get a situation where no oil is being delivered to the top of the engine and seize the engine.
So if you are going to be spending a fair bit of time on steep slopes you will need a mower with a horizontal crank engine like a 2000 series Cub Cadet.
Or 2 stroke which will happily operate upside down