Scag wildcat fuse heating

Mstrate

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a scag wildcat 11 years old, been garage kept, worked great until 2 weeks ago when it started blowing the lower"yellow wired" fuse. Tracing wiring and Looking at connections...all good. Clean and no corrosion. Replaced ignition switch, voltage regulator and stator. The two yellow wires are heating up rapidly with throttle fwd and blades disengaged after about 10 seconds. Voltage to battery is 13.6. Plus yellow singe wire on ignition switch gets extremely hot as well. Other than replace fuse holder I'm running out of options. Also, If I remove connector on voltage regulator the wiring does NOT heat up but battery not charging. Open for suggestions.
Engine number CV7 40S. S/N 3502731241.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What does not work when the fuse blows?

Mstrate

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine will stop once fuse blows. Mower will turn over and start for about a second and immediately die. Replace fuse and it will start and run for a short time until it blows again. However the wiring going to fuse is too hot to touch and so is ignition switch

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
To me, that sounds like a bad connection in the key start switch. When it cools down check the fuse wire both directions for it touching metal. If you do not find short to metal test the key switch.

Mstrate

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changed fuse holder and that seem to fix it. Still gets hot but does not blow fuse

Mstrate

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's the latest. New stator, voltage regulator, fuse holder, starter switch and battery. Mowed for two hours and PTO switch and connector melted. Guess I will replace clutch, wire harness and PTO switch unless anyone has other suggestions. Thanks in advance

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Tiger Cat that will blow about 2 fuses a day. Always the bottom one. It will run but if you turn it off it won't start back unless you jump it off. If you run it long enough without catching it then the PTO clutch will not work....... Until a new fuse is installed.....

Mstrate

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine was similar but now connector is melted for PTO. Hate to replace clutch but if I put new harness on it and don't replace clutch then I could be doing another harness. I put new fuse holders and that fixed the original problem

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We replaced the fuse holders on my Tiger Cat Thursday and ran it a long time Friday and did not blow any fuses. The Jury is still out if that is the problem though.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try disconnecting the clutch wire(s) and then see if fuse gets hot.