Scag wildcat fuse heating

NorthBama

Threads
check the ohn resistance on the clutch coil with vom meter

Scottyboy

Threads
Fuses melted in the holder with out blowing. Changed the fuse holders. No problems with fuses getting hot.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
People here have briefly touched on the expected running current of an engaged clutch, but not a lot of detail. Perhaps a tricky setup,but worthwhile to set up the DVM for current and insert it in series with the clutch while running. This may not be so easy as typical DVMs only tolerate about 10 Amps before the internal DVM fuse blows (it can be replaced). I have seen DVMs with 20 amp capacity, but it was on a lower end H Frt unit which was made me doubtful. Before such a test the mfgr's spec should be available or the pro's here should chime in. I believe the brief conversation before was around 15 amps. I ran a similar test on an Audi fuel pump and it was effective. Audi had published the current spec. A resistance check is another approach as noted above if expected value is available.

Perhaps there a factory notice on such a pattern problem? :2cents:

Honda Tech

Threads
People here have briefly touched on the expected running current of an engaged clutch, but not a lot of detail. Perhaps a tricky setup,but worthwhile to set up the DVM for current and insert it in series with the clutch while running. This may not be so easy as typical DVMs only tolerate about 10 Amps before the internal DVM fuse blows (it can be replaced). I have seen DVMs with 20 amp capacity, but it was on a lower end H Frt unit which was made me doubtful. Before such a test the mfgr's spec should be available or the pro's here should chime in. I believe the brief conversation before was around 15 amps. I ran a similar test on an Audi fuel pump and it was effective. Audi had published the current spec. A resistance check is another approach as noted above if expected value is available.

Perhaps there a factory notice on such a pattern problem? :2cents:

First, this unit should have an Ogura adjustable clutch. With feeler gauge, you want .015" airgap at all three inspection ports. Excessive airgap will create excessive resistance and 'melt' fuses. Resistance @ 70 degrees should be 2.8~3.2 Ohms. If you can perform an Amp Draw test, it should be 5.67 Amps.
Don't overlook loose or poor Ground connections!!!