My Kohler Command 25 hp now runs WOT on its own

Bleach

Threads
Thanks for the links. I was trying to find one that gave me a better idea.

Bleach

Threads
I have a real good idea now about how the governor works on my engine. There should be some spring-like resistance when moving the governor lever which mine doesn't. It looks like the gear is plastic which probably broke. I wonder what genius came up with using plastic parts inside an engine?
I looks like I 'll be pulling the engine again. I've done it twice before and it wasn't too difficult. The governor gear sits in the oil pan on the CV25. Might nor be too hard to repair.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Things always go quicker the second or third time around.

Plastic gears have been in engines for a long time. That doesn't mean they're better than metal gears; they're not. I had a 1969 GTO that had a fiberglass cam sprocket. It failed.

Bleach

Threads
Yes, I've known that plastic/non metal parts have been used in automotive engines for quite some time. I was a little surprised to find something like that in this engine. It must be a common part to fail. I was looking on ebay for them and one seller had already sold over 90 from his listing.
Something like this is a ticking time bomb. It's only a matter of time before it can fail. When it does, the engine can destroy itself if a user doesn't shut the engine off in time.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The part I don't understand is why did the governor gear destroy itself replacing a head. The head and governor aren't connected in any way. Did you remove the intake manifold and in doing so bend, disconnect, and not put together the governor linkage the right way?? Just maybe Mr. Bob Weight did have his hands into this repair.

Bleach

Threads
I had to pull both the intake and exhaust manifolds. I had to remove the lever off the governor shaft as there were baffles that had to be removed to get the head off. There's a lot of stuff in the way before the heads can come off. I put the lever back on the way it shows in the book and I double checked everything before I started it. How the governor went FUBAR is beyond me.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is getting more confusing as we go.. Isn't there a clip that holds the linkage to the lever? :confused2:

Bleach

Threads
This is how the lever is attached. There are clips and a spring. I needed to remove it to get to remove the baffle on head #1.
Untitled.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohlers commands have stuff bolted to the bottom of the heads that has to be removed, the intake has to be removed, the throttle and choke cables, are attached to the top of the blower housing with a heavy duty air cleaner on some units only with the blower housing that all has to be removed on them to get the heads off. I don't remember taking the governor arm off the rod though.

Bleach

Threads
Taking the lever off shouldn't have ruined anything so it's probably only a coincidence that the governor broke. I bypassed the governor for now and the only thing different is throttle is more sensitive and mowing takes frequent speed adjustments. I mowed for about an hour this evening and it ran mowed fine. There was a little relearning involved to get that happy medium. Once the grass goes dormant from the lack of rain and higher temos, which should be soon, I'll fix the governor.