Potential discount on Gravely ZT HD from dealer?

MOWHAPPY

Threads
Here is my situation. I'm able to purchase an Ariens Apex 60" mower from a big box store for $1300 less the asking price (asking price = $4999). I also really like the Gravely ZT HD and like the idea of buying from a dealer. From all of the research I've done online, spoke with different dealers and Ariens, they say those mowers are exactly the same minus paint color and a little difference with horsepower for some of the motors.

The best my local dealers can do on the ZT HD right now is $5100 + tax. I'm not in a situation of where I have to buy a new mower now. What kind of discount could I potentially get on the ZT HD from a dealer after the mowing season or early next year before the mowing season starts (assuming they still have any in stock)? I know this will vary between dealers, but hoping to at least hear from folks that may have been down that path before.

Even with the big discount on the Apex, I'm still weighing the option of going with a dealer due to the support after purchasing the mower. Obviously, the type of support will vary between dealers as well.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Which ZT 60? They range from $5580 with 60" deck and Kohler engine to $5805 for same deck with Kawasaki engine.

The sales tax is what would be the deal breaker for me. God himself only wants 10%. I'll be damned if I'll tithe to the State for the "privilege" of buying a lawn mower.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Around here at least my Toro /Snapper /Simplicity Dealer has a year end sale in August, to make room for the new 2018 models coming.

Not sure if Gravely does anything like that, but just an FYI you may wanna check on.

MOWHAPPY

Threads
Which ZT 60? They range from $5580 with 60" deck and Kohler engine to $5805 for same deck with Kawasaki engine.

The sales tax is what would be the deal breaker for me. God himself only wants 10%. I'll be damned if I'll tithe to the State for the "privilege" of buying a lawn mower.

The Gravely ZT HD model with the 60" deck. That model with the Kawasaki around my area sells for $5200 + tax. The Kohler engine may be a tad less.

MOWHAPPY

Threads
Around here at least my Toro /Snapper /Simplicity Dealer has a year end sale in August, to make room for the new 2018 models coming.

Not sure if Gravely does anything like that, but just an FYI you may wanna check on.

Thanks for the heads up. I've heard good things about Simplicity.

Lawn Addict
Threads
A friend has one with the coil spring suspension & loves it.

As to the year end deals, you have to check with your Dealer, it may be different in your area, IDK ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Big box stores only pay for mowers after they have been sold, usually 30 days and they do not pay for the floor stock so they are never paticularly desperate to shift stock unless there are bid factory discounts.
Large franchise chains usually have a similar deal for their warehouse stock, but dealers usually get x days of credit from the time the mower is delivered.
Down here this "free credit" period varies from 30 days in peak to 90 days off season.
Thus a dealer will give a great deal on one particular mower if the free credit time is about to expire.
Thus there can be 3 identical mowers on the floor but only 1 has a $ 300 discount on it
So to get the absolute best deal you need to haunt a few dealers.
Despite what a lot of people think, mower shops do not make massive profits as compared to the value of the stock on the floor.
Down here Stihl require dealers to hold $ 30,000 of stock at all time.
Briggs wanted me to hold a minimum of $ 20,000 worth of inventory and Kohler $ 45,000 so to make a reasonable return you have to turn over a lot of stock.
One would assume things are similar in the USA.
My commercial customers regularly get rung with offers of big discounts on a particular new mower,for a very limited time, but not all of the same mowers, just the one or two and these are the ones the dealer has to pay for right now

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds kinda similar here Bert.

I always wait till August sales to make my bigger lawn & garden equipment purchases, this year it's gonna be a light weight chainsaw, Echo has a 20% off sale on Aug 19th. One Day ONLY.

cruzenmike

Threads
MOWHAPPY,

In my experience with both the dealer and the box stores, the dealer is ABSOLUTELY bound to the price in which the manufacturer sets. Box stores are limited on space and have large season plan-o-gram changes that require inventory to be sold off at times with a large discount (at a loss to the seller) which will always yield you a lower price than at a dealer. For example, at the end of last season, my local Home Depot let go of their last Toro SS4225 for $2109 which at the time was $490 cheaper than a dealer would let go of one. Plain and simple, the dealers sell few product types and have warehouses and showrooms to hold onto inventory much longer if needed, therefore they do not need to discount to clear them at the end of the season. As for the models you are considering, the APEX is a new model and the ZT HD was just re-designed which means that there should not be a model change next year. Many times manufacturers will have a single model year that is sold for 2-3 years with the only way to tell the difference being the date of manufacture. Do as you feel is necessary, but I promise you that you will not get the Gravely you want anywhere near the price of the APEX you stated you could pay. Good luck!

Mike

MOWHAPPY

Threads
MOWHAPPY,

In my experience with both the dealer and the box stores, the dealer is ABSOLUTELY bound to the price in which the manufacturer sets. Box stores are limited on space and have large season plan-o-gram changes that require inventory to be sold off at times with a large discount (at a loss to the seller) which will always yield you a lower price than at a dealer. For example, at the end of last season, my local Home Depot let go of their last Toro SS4225 for $2109 which at the time was $490 cheaper than a dealer would let go of one. Plain and simple, the dealers sell few product types and have warehouses and showrooms to hold onto inventory much longer if needed, therefore they do not need to discount to clear them at the end of the season. As for the models you are considering, the APEX is a new model and the ZT HD was just re-designed which means that there should not be a model change next year. Many times manufacturers will have a single model year that is sold for 2-3 years with the only way to tell the difference being the date of manufacture. Do as you feel is necessary, but I promise you that you will not get the Gravely you want anywhere near the price of the APEX you stated you could pay. Good luck!

Mike

Thanks for the feedback cruzenmike. I figured with the ZT HD being redesigned this year, it would be tough to get a big discount anytime soon. I think I'm going to take my chances with the apex and see how it does. If i start to have any issues with it (plenty of mowing time left this year), then back it goes. From all of the research i've done, the apex is identical to the ZT HD minus paint color and slight difference in HP.