Hustler 2500 Won't drive, no power to wheels

classy_gene

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2500 Compact Hustler. It has about 1500 Hours on it. The last time I mowed it kept loosing speed, I parked it in the garaged and finished up mowing with my other mower. I went to use it today to see if I could figure out the problem. The drive belt for the pumps I replaced last year and is tight and clean, no oil or dirt on belt. The mower won't move. If I jack up the rear and have the drive wheels off the ground they will rotate slowly but I can stop them with my hands. If the engine is turned off I can freely rotate the wheels which I thought was odd because it never rolled before. Is there a bypass valve stuck open or what should I be looking for?? Thanks in advance.

classy_gene

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the oil reservoir is full and the filter was changed in the last 100 hours

turboawd

Threads
almost every hyrdro drive mower i've seen has a lever(usually in rear) to disconnect the drive to allow machine to be pushed or towed.

Datadave

Threads
almost every hyrdro drive mower i've seen has a lever(usually in rear) to disconnect the drive to allow machine to be pushed or towed.

Try what Turbo says. It was the first thing that popped in my head.
The little disconnect leavers in the rear may be pulled out, one on each side -
They release the hydro gear so it will free wheel.

classy_gene

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have looked and don't see anything. It happened while I was mowing.

classy_gene

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower has two pumps and two drive motors. The bypass has to be turned with a wrench on each pump, so I'm not sure how that would of happened. I've had the mower for 7-8 years and have put about 700 hours on it.

c_monster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the oil reservoir is full and the filter was changed in the last 100 hours

The only times I've completely lost pressure on a hydraulic system without a pump failure it was a plugged filter, or air in the system. I'd change the filter again and reprime the pumps and see where that puts you.

classy_gene

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only times I've completely lost pressure on a hydraulic system without a pump failure it was a plugged filter, or air in the system. I'd change the filter again and reprime the pumps and see where that puts you.
I might try the filter it is a quick and easy solution. Yeah it just has me puzzled. Thanks for your input.

Datadave

Threads
Strange it happened to both sides at the same time

classy_gene

Forum Newbie
Threads
A new filter fixed the problem! I'm not sure if the old filter collapsed inside or what happened. Thanks for the advice!!