Murray lawnmower problem

patl22

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a Murray lawnmower from Walmart. It worked for about a month then it would not start. I took it took the Murray dealer and they said it was the engine and wanted to put another one in for a $ 1000. Walmart refuse to give me another mower. ALso the Murray company says that part of the engine is not covered.They said the warranty is out. What I need to know is where can I purchase a 17.5 HP engine at a reasonable price.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How long ago did you buy it ?
engines are covered under warranty and the entire mower should be covered under domestic consummer law.
Put your complaint in writing, alone with an apraisal from a licensed mechanic.
DO not talk to any one on the phone, keep it all on emails , letters or texts so you have an unambigious correspondence trail.
If it is one of the new made in China Murrays then they are $ 675 + freight in China if bought in lots of 200 so Walmart are most likely paying about $ 500 each for them landed and just fobbing you off

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
As Bert asked, when did you buy it ?? ( engine should have a 2 year consumer warranty, 1 yr COMMERCIAL use.)
Where did you buy it, ? got ALL your paperwork ?/ ( receipt, owners guide, warranty papers..?? )
you didn't explain what happened, did the engine have oil in it ? was the engine running wide open while cutting
(as it should be for cooling purposes) did you hit something, and WHAT is the DIAGNOSIS..?? WHY do you NEED a NEW engine, did it blow-up, bend a crankshaft, catch fire...??? Definitely sounds like warranty job, UNLESS you fall into machine abuse category, RE-READ your warranty papers, ... AND follow Berts advice about keeping ALL info. including ( VERY IMPORTANT) WHO you talked with and ALL written correspondence ( with dates) .

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!
I'm going to move this thread over to our Murray forum.

patl22

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the lawnmower March 19th and I cut my lawn 2 times with it. I started to cut with it a 3rd time around April 22 and it would not crank. It Would seem as though it would crank but would spin kind of fast,almost as though there wasn't any compression toward the engine. I called the Walmart store that I purchased it from and they told me I could not bring it back because it was out of there 30 day warranty. After talking with one of there representative they told me the riding lawnmowers have a 90 day return policy. They told me to call the store back and talk to the manager but he told me there was nothing he could do. He also told me to call Murray in which I did . I took it to the Murray dealer that they suggested and they said Murray will not fix it because it is something that is not included in the warranty but the dealer told me he would fix it for $1000. I told him no because that exceeded the price of the mower.I did not hit anything or run it out of oil but the Murray lawnmower repairer tore the engine apart and it is all in pieces. Hope that helps. Guess I have a broken mower. Thanks for answering me.

Homer1

Threads
Sounds like your Wal-Mart ia jacking you around. Sorry to hear. The manager honestly probably has no idea what he's doing and just wants to leave you high and dry because he'd rather not fiddle with a major return like that.

As stated, if you still have original receipt and paperwork that came with the mower, you can register the engine anytime with the motor manufacturer, and then file a claim through the motor manufacturer's website.

If they tore it down, get a complete synopsis of what's wrong with it. Register the engine first, then file a claim. They will ask that you take it to a registered mechanic for their brand. As long the Murray people are registered, the engine manufacturer may honor the claim with the repair shop's estimate.

Hope there's a positive ending to this rather crap situation.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like your Wal-Mart ia jacking you around. Sorry to hear. The manager honestly probably has no idea what he's doing and just wants to leave you high and dry because he'd rather not fiddle with a major return like that.

As stated, if you still have original receipt and paperwork that came with the mower, you can register the engine anytime with the motor manufacturer, and then file a claim through the motor manufacturer's website.

If they tore it down, get a complete synopsis of what's wrong with it. Register the engine first, then file a claim. They will ask that you take it to a registered mechanic for their brand. As long the Murray people are registered, the engine manufacturer may honor the claim with the repair shop's estimate.

Hope there's a positive ending to this rather crap situation.

Walmart return policy varies by location, and is up to the store manager. There was a period when I was doing all the repairs for the local stores around me that they would not approve a return without my personal written authorization. I approved nothing that wasn't covered by the manufacturer warranty for exceeding a dollar amount for like kind exchange.

Sounds like there is more to this not covered by warranty. Something is not being told.