New ZTR mower - opinions

MAG00

Forum Newbie
Threads
My old John Deerre L120 riding mower is in need of more repairs than I am willing to put into (10 yrs old). I am looking at getting a new ZTR mower for my 1.5 acre lot. I would like to get a 46" to 50" mowing width with a fabricated deck or at least a heavy duty/reinforced deck due to tree roots, gum balls, etc.

I found a couple of models and have tried researching them but would like to get some opinions. Below is a list of what I am considering. Thoughts?

• Toro Timecutter MX5025 - 50" fabricated deck, 23HP Kawasaki engine
  • Cub Cadet RZT-L 46 - 46" fabricated deck, Honda engine
  • Hustler Raptor - 52" fabricated deck, 24HP Kohler engine
  • Husqvarna Z246 - 46" stamped/reinforced deck, 20HP Briggs & Stratton engine

Any input is helpful. Thanks.

Top98Percent

Threads
On your list, I tried out the Husqvarna and Raptor. Like the ride of the Raptor better. Smoother hydros and I preferred the seating position better. Ended up with the Raptor SDX, but that's a whole other story...

The Ariens Ikon X 52 is a popular choice in the price range of the mowers listed and checks off all the boxes and then some. If I wasn't locked into buying from Lowe's I would have ended my search with the Ikon X and saved some money.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-IKON-X-52-in-23-HP-Kawasaki-Gas-Hydrostatic-Zero-Turn-Riding-Mower-915223/300243716

If you can, get out and test each and see what feels good to you.

cruzenmike

Threads
I agree that the Ikon X should also be considered. It really is a great value! As for the ones you have listed, the Toro would be my first choice. The build quality of the Toro is excellent and the Kawasaki engine should perform well. I do also like the 3 speed ranges on the SS and MX mowers; good feature for homeowner/first time zero turn user.

Mike

MAG00

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree the Ariens Ikon looks like a good unit for my purposes/use.

Any thoughts/opinions on the Scag Liberty Z? I have a dealer real close to my house and I'm going to go check them out, but would like some independent feedback on them. It is my understanding that Scag makes good mowers, just don't know anything about their residential units such as the Liberty Z.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

MAG00

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Bob-Cat dealer began carrying this mower when the Fast-Cat series stopped being offered in 48 inch decks. Probably out of your price range given the mowers you listed but it's a lot of mower for the price of $5,800. https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en...-turn-mowers/champion-xt-zero-turn-mower.html

There's also the Contender for a bit less. Both have commercial-duty hydro drive units. https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en...ro-turn-mowers/contender-zero-turn-mower.html

What's your budget?

Doesn't look I have a dealer in town. My budget is probably about $3,500 give or take a little depending upon the mower.

Top98Percent

Threads
the Liberty Z was nice, solid machine I test drove one during my search. Lots of good reviews on them. You will get an upgrade to serviceable hydros, bigger tires and bigger gast tank. You should be able to get a 48" around 3800. Do you plan on getting a bagger? The Scag bagger is about 1300. Might factor into your decision. Ikon bagger is about half that...

Ahalachis

Threads
OP I was in the exact situation you are on until Tuesday. I have/had a JD120 that threw a rod a few weeks ago. Barely 370 hours on the engine. No love from JD or B&S. Never again.

I looked at the Husky, Ikon X and the Gravely ZT X. Ultimately I bought the 2017 Gravely ZT HD 52 with the Kawasaki (long story).

The Husky l looked at was the Z254F which has a fabricated deck and was solid all around. The Icon X is almost the exact mower as the Gravely ZT X and IMO was a notch over the Husky. I think you get more for your money with the Icon X however like the Gravely ZT X they are very hard to find in my neck of the woods.

ts900

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just ordered a Ariens Apex 60" from Lowes $4999 MSRP had 2 *5* star reviews, received it 7/20/2017 only took 4 days to arrive at local store, used it for less than 2 hours before hydraulic drive belt broke, had to push mower up ramp on trailer by myself, that was fun.
Returned it 7/24/2017 with no questions, mower had plenty of power through some tall grass
1. It rode very rough had tires at 15 psi it came with 25 psi in all 4 tires which I lowered, I could have lowered them more maybe helping ride ?
2. Was very surprised to see belt break for no apparent reason, it was 1/2" across top and less than 3/8" v portion a little small in my opinion driving 3100 pumps
3. Really wanted mower to be a good one as I got it at 10% off and it looked real nice and seemed to be built well
4. I have a Ariens Max Zoom 60" that rides a lot better, not sure why as it has smaller tires, etc
5. I was looking at Scag Cheeta and Ferris 61" 2100Z or 3200Z at over $10,000 and thought that was a lot of money to cut my own grass

Land I cut is not real smooth and at 67 a soft ride would be appreciated .. reason I bought mower was to have a backup as I am giving my son the Ariens Max Zoom, I plan on selling properties in the near future and will end up living with Son so spending over $10K was a no go

I would if possible try out one you want to buy, at least HD and Lowes have a 30 day return policy if your not happy