WE261 Starting Issue, slightly different than the other thread

Mikecouil

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / WE261 Starting Issue, slightly different than the other thread
First of all, thank you all for allowing me to post this question. I searched Dr. Google already as well as youtube and came up with nothing so I hope to find something here.

I have very limited experience with ride on mowers and I'm learning along with my 11 year old. He's having a blast with this, which makes it far less frustrating than it would be.

When I received the mower, the ignition switch was not working. It only runs through pull start and I did not have to be sitting down on it. It ran sluggish and got worse as I mowed. I pulled the carb and cleaned it out and reinstalled and it was only a slight upgrade. I ordered a new OEM carb and installed it last night. This is where the real trouble starts. Now I have to hold the thin metal rod that opens and closes the carb in order for the engine to continue running. It starts right up, stays on about 10-15 seconds, and then that rod retreats and the engine dies. If I sit there and hold it open it'll run forever and runs fantastic. Did I jack something up when we swapped the carbs? Is that metal rod removed from whatever it was attached to previously?

Where do I begin trouble shooting? There is only one screw at the top of the carb that appears to just hold all the plastic pieces in place. I assume it's not an adjustment. I took the plastic housing off the top and it looks like the metal rod goes back to an electrical component. Do I need to mess with that?

Any help would be great. I suppose I'll eventually want the key start to work as well but for now I'd be happy seeing it run again.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
First of all, thank you all for allowing me to post this question. I searched Dr. Google already as well as youtube and came up with nothing so I hope to find something here.

I have very limited experience with ride on mowers and I'm learning along with my 11 year old. He's having a blast with this, which makes it far less frustrating than it would be.

When I received the mower, the ignition switch was not working. It only runs through pull start and I did not have to be sitting down on it. It ran sluggish and got worse as I mowed. I pulled the carb and cleaned it out and reinstalled and it was only a slight upgrade. I ordered a new OEM carb and installed it last night. This is where the real trouble starts. Now I have to hold the thin metal rod that opens and closes the carb in order for the engine to continue running. It starts right up, stays on about 10-15 seconds, and then that rod retreats and the engine dies. If I sit there and hold it open it'll run forever and runs fantastic. Did I jack something up when we swapped the carbs? Is that metal rod removed from whatever it was attached to previously?

Where do I begin trouble shooting? There is only one screw at the top of the carb that appears to just hold all the plastic pieces in place. I assume it's not an adjustment. I took the plastic housing off the top and it looks like the metal rod goes back to an electrical component. Do I need to mess with that?

Any help would be great. I suppose I'll eventually want the key start to work as well but for now I'd be happy seeing it run again.

To help YOU, we need some info about your machine, SEE EXAMPLE !

GET INFO.JPG ... click to enlarge

info of the mower SHOULD be under seat (on a sticker) engine info SHOULD be on the engine itself, (sticker OR stamped into shroud or vale cover.)

Mikecouil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I'll get this info later.

Mikecouil

Forum Newbie
Threads
WE261
Weedeater one 875 series
Briggs Straton 875 series 190 cc
I have pics but i guess I would need to post to photo bucket first?

Is this enough info or is more needed? Thanks again all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine will have a number stamped into the metal part of the blower housing or on the heat shield over the muffler.
it will be 6 characters space 4 characters the - 2 characters followed by a serial number .
If it is a Chinese made engine then the numbers will be electro etched in the side of the engine near the carb, usually sideways.

Sears says that your engine has a mechanical governor so there should be a long wire rod running from side of the engine, near the back that slips into the throttle butterfly.
The wire has a loop about 1" or so from the carb end and the governor spring attaches to that loop.
The other end of the spring attaches to control lever that the throttle cable moves.

Mikecouil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for giving me a starting point. I'll dive into it tomorrow.