WD 40 primed thru 2 stroke for long storage ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
WD 40 primed thru 2 stroke carb for long storage ?

Fellow was telling me that if something like my chain saw is to be stored long term, to empty gas/oil mix, add WD 40 liquid & primer bulb it thru the carb & then drain out.

I know it will disperse any moisture, but is this good advice ?

Appreciate any input.

(and for my regular stuff, I always use Seafoam* for winter storage). But I'm talking about maybe a few years or so.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Numbers,
Never heard of this before so not sure.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: WD 40 primed thru 2 stroke carb for long storage ?

BlazNT- Thank You, I have never heard of it before either.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyone else ?

primerbulb120

Threads
Never heard of it. I like your new signature though :laughing:.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, Yea that handle (Numbers) got started here. :laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Considering what WD 40 will do to most trigger sprayers and that it causes nylon & nylon derrivaties to swell, I doubt it would be a good idea.
Spray the outside mediocre benefit

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not a real big fan of WD-40. I fix lots of stuff for people that think it is some sort of lubricant. It is not. It does clean some things and displaces water well but I normally do not use it as a whole. It attracts dirt like crazy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am not a real big fan of WD-40. I fix lots of stuff for people that think it is some sort of lubricant. It is not. It does clean some things and displaces water well but I normally do not use it as a whole. It attracts dirt like crazy.

I stopped using it a long long long while ago.
Contact cleaner for dewatering electrical stuff and Innox for penetrating & superficial lubing.
Penetrene for really stuck stuff

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You both. I certainly appreciate your replies. WD 40 is a petroleum base, according to the can.

That's why I posted the question, I was leary of it's "benefit" for storage, after primer bulb pumping it thru the carb. Friend swears by doing this. I won't be doing it tho.

I'll stick to my use of 100% gas w/ Seafoam. And long, long term just emptying the tank & run it till it stops. Then fogging the combustion chamber(s) @ TDC.

Maybe my friend uses ethanol blend gas ?