Blades Sharpen New Blade?

Brucebotti

Threads
Good Morning,
I searched but couldn't find an answer. My question is, when you purchase new blades, do you sharpen them before installing?
Thanks,
Bruce

primerbulb120

Threads
Most new blades come with a dull edge, and the few that do come sharp have a paint coating over the edge that makes it dull. I'd recommend sharpening the edge if you don't think it's sharp enough. :thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The reason for the 1/64" part not sharpened is because if it is not then it will dull faster. So you will have to sharpen more often and over a shorter time frame replace the blades. I have tested this although not through scientific testing procedures and it is true. Sharp edge blades compared to 1/64" dull. I took all the yards and split them in half and changed blades for each half. Same 2 sets of blades all day. By the end of the day, the sharp blades were ripping the grass and dull edge blades were still cutting the grass. It added about an hour to all the mowing but it was an eye opener.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oregon, the largest OEM blade manufacturer in the world has a rule they call 30-30 which means a 30 degree grind angle, and leaving a .030 blunt edge. Like BlazNT said the knife sharp edge wears faster, Grass is very abrasive and wears a knife edge off very quickly to about 30 thousands so why grind more than you need to

primerbulb120

Threads
The reason for the 1/64" part not sharpened is because if it is not then it will dull faster. So you will have to sharpen more often and over a shorter time frame replace the blades. I have tested this although not through scientific testing procedures and it is true. Sharp edge blades compared to 1/64" dull. I took all the yards and split them in half and changed blades for each half. Same 2 sets of blades all day. By the end of the day, the sharp blades were ripping the grass and dull edge blades were still cutting the grass. It added about an hour to all the mowing but it was an eye opener.

Interesting! So the blades will wear faster if they're sharper to begin with? I always thought if I put a knife edge on, it would wear off quickly but wouldn't affect the wear on the rest of the blade.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have always believed that each should do his own thing. But this has been kicked around in here for a while. I have always used the small dull edge. I have also always sharpened at end of day for sure and some times earler. Have 3 sets on my truck for swapping.
The manufacture says with a sharp blade the sharp edge curles under and causes blade to dull faster. With my knives i use for cooking i can agree with that. I hone them every time before use.

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup: Good advice.