Old newbie, Lawn Boy Fan from PA

Billy Jack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad I found this forum, as it looks like the place to be for a Lawn-Boy fanatic and DIY'er.
Got my first LB when I bought my first home in '83, a capstan-drive steel deck 21 incher.
Soon after, I traded up for the then-new series of aluminum deck models with the integral center rear chute, model #8125. The no-offset deck afforded close trimming on either side, as well as nice straight mowing lines. Removing the mulching insert and hanging on the bag was so simple in comparison to the separate chute models, I hoped to keep it forever. One Sunday in 1998 I was at my local hardware store, hoping they had an ignition coil in stock, so I could finish mowing. While waiting, I spied a model #10523 on display that looked unlike the others on the rack. Upon inquiry, the clerk said "That's last year's model. It's probably the last true Lawn-Boy, as the other ones you see are just green Toros." Well, you know what got loaded in my truck. The old girl got scrubbed up, lubed up, wrapped up and mothballed for about 7 years. Eventually, I found a NOS drive unit to replace the tired one, a new OEM coil and put it back in service.
Along the way, I added a Lawn-Boy Snow Blower that's now over 10 years old, as well as a L-B Electric string trimmer that I found in a yard sale.
Here's a pic of my two pieces that still serve me well:

View attachment 33263

The #8125 and trimmer aren't in the pic, as they're both in weekly use at my Son's yard, now that he's a homeowner. As I mentioned earlier, I hope to keep all the 2-stroke stuff alive forever, so I'm hoping to learn from the experience base here.
Thanks for having me.

Bill

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome Bill, how goes it up in the 'burgh ?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi, Bill.

Welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home :)