Briggh & Stratton will not start

islandboy

Threads
I have a 2014 ariens lawn tractor (briggs & stratton engine) it will only start if i remove the air filter ang hold ny hand against th air intake..once starter it runs rough at first bou settles down and will continue to run until i shut it off...what might be the problem. mod nbr is 31R907

Tinkerer200

Threads
You don't say if the engine will spin over without holding your hand over the air intake or if it will not spin over unless you hold your hand over the air intake. Either could happen and it makes a big difference which.

Walt Conner

islandboy

Threads
Engine will spin but will not start unless I put my hand over ihe air intake, once it starts, it will run until it is manually shut off.

darrinster

Threads
Are you using choke while trying to start it? Make sure the choke is actually working. Does it spin over fast when if you don't put your hand on the intake?

islandboy

Threads
Yes I use the choke, will have to check to make sure it is working...the engine spins the same whether my hand is on the air intake or not.

VHM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like you need to remove the carburetor and give it a good ol cleaning. It sounds like the low end passage ways and jet may be clogged. It will run fine after it starts with your hand over the intake? If so you probably have some gunk built up and it needs to be cleaned.

islandboy

Threads
Thank you I will try cleaning out the carb and jets and will post the results.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the engine does not suck your hand into the carb when you block off the air with your hand you have an air leak

islandboy

Threads
Thanks, the engine does suck my hand into the carb, so an air leak may not be the problem, I am going to do a thorough cleaning of the carb and see if thes will solve the problem.

Threads
Take off the air box and check to see if your choke plate is actually closing with the cable. If not then an adjustment is needed. Or it may be something more ~!~!

Hope this helps Mon Ami !!!!