B&S Fuel solenoid

grassman

Threads
Hello,

I just tested my fuel solenoid on my Briggs Vanguard V-Twin engine (12.5hp) It does not seem to be working. I was just told that the part is $130!

Do I absolutely need the solenoid, and are there any other options.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. :smile:

BO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have seen the solenoid with sticking needle and have at times sprayed with carb cleaner and freed up the needle..Might be worth a try..I'd never pay $130 for that part..

grassman

Threads
Thanks for moving this where it belongs. BO2 I have tried WD40 and that didn't work, but maybe I'll get more aggressive with carb cleaner as you suggested. And I agree, $130 is a hell of a price for the part.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
what do you mean by not working?.....usually these things retract to allow fuel flow when voltage is applied and plug the main jet when there's no voltage..

BO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Solenoid was working but needle was gummed and would not move..Freed it up with carb cleaner--still working...

grassman

Threads
Hi reddragon,

Yes, you've got it right. I've got gas going into the carb, the bowl is full but the solenoid isn't opening up to let it through. My engine is a Briggs Vanguard V-twin, and the wire from the solenoid goes directly to an oil pressure switch at the oil filter. I'm not even sure how a voltage goes from this switch to the solenoid.

There is only the one wire, I guess the solenoid case is the ground/return. I tested the solenoid by putting a 9 volt charge as per the manual, to the wire and ground the case but the solenoid did not open. I don't know if it is because it is jammed or broken.

BO2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi reddragon,

Yes, you've got it right. I've got gas going into the carb, the bowl is full but the solenoid isn't opening up to let it through. My engine is a Briggs Vanguard V-twin, and the wire from the solenoid goes directly to an oil pressure switch at the oil filter. I'm not even sure how a voltage goes from this switch to the solenoid.

There is only the one wire, I guess the solenoid case is the ground/return. I tested the solenoid by putting a 9 volt charge as per the manual, to the wire and ground the case but the solenoid did not open. I don't know if it is because it is jammed or broken.

With the solenoid in hand have you tried pushing /pulling/twisting the needle that protrudes out of it..I remember being able to push/pull them before but they had resistance(gummed up)..Sprayed with carb cleaner and loosened the needle up where it could move freely.
..Of course if the solenoid itself is bad it will need replaced.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yeah....i think im going to try and find a way to disable these damn things so they work without the solenoid...they were primarily designed to stop a backfire after shutoff and some dieseling.....not crucial to function!:thumbdown:......have you tried partstree?....Partstree.com - Genuine replacement parts for Toro, Echo, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy (Lawnboy), lawn equipment (lawn mowers, saws, blowers, trimmers, snow blowers) and Tecumseh, Kohler and Briggs and Stratton Engines.

grassman

Threads
Fuel solenoid disabled!

Well, I tried to save it, I soaked it in carb cleaner, I talked to it nicely, but it didn't work. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

I took a small drill bit and drilled down through the top port and then through the four side ports, and I can say that my solenoid is now completely open!

Now of course it will never close, but at least I'll be able to get the damn tractor started. I guess I was less worried about backfire than I was about spending $130 bucks for a 'just-in-case-this-happens-this-will-prevent-it-from-happening' part:laughing: