Engine 345 sucking water

Clarence W

Threads
I am hoping you might be able to help me determine which cylinder on my JD345 liquid cooled FD590V engine has a water leak (cylinder head failure).
I did a compression test, and both sides are equal.
I also pulled the head (with the thermostat) and looked it over, and replaced the head gasket, but saw no issues.
The engine oil looks clean as well.
Do the the Kawasaki Engines have a history of thin, warped heads, or water jacket issues?
Any thoughts?

thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Clarence

Attachments

• JD345 SN.jpg
    JD345 SN.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 4
  • JD345 Engine tag.jpg
    JD345 Engine tag.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 5
  • FD590V engine.jpg
    FD590V engine.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 6
  • JD345 Rt Side all done 11-28-2016.jpg
    JD345 Rt Side all done 11-28-2016.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 6

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am hoping you might be able to help me determine which cylinder on my JD345 liquid cooled FD590V engine has a water leak (cylinder head failure).

thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Clarence

Do a leak down test.

Clarence W

Threads
Thanks for the guidance, I will try that this weekend !
Take Care,
Clarence

Attachments

• cylinder leak down test kit.jpg
    cylinder leak down test kit.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 5

JD_TAMO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clarence,
Did you find the source of the leak? Was it Physically leaking from the head. How many hours on the machine? The water pump is on the bottom side of the engine, and if it has failed, coolant will be leaking out the weep hole. check all hose clamps as well.

Clarence W

Threads
The unit has 1200 hrs on it.
I am the second owner (1 yr ago), and I knew the fella I bought it from very well.
He bought it new in '97 and changed the oil every year, but ran it hot for the last month or so, then he bought a new JD to replace it.
So, the first thing I did was put in a new water pump, hoses, and thermostat.
Then I used it, liked it, and started fixing it up, with oil change, hood replacement, front tires, paint, found a snow blower for it.

It does not leak water on the ground, it started blowing white smoke, that smells like antifreeze.
I pulled the plugs and saw white gases/smoke coming out the side with the thermostat, thinking I must have a bad head gasket, I went to JD, bought a Head Gasket, and replaced it.
But I still have the issue.
The oil stays nice and clean.

I called the dealer, and he suggested a failed head, and said he can get one for ($218.00).
He said it is rare, but does have one in stock for this reason, and that the aluminum is so thin, that they can pit/corrode/fail.

Any thoughts?
Clarence

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pressurize each cylinder. Remove the coolant cap and you should be able to determine which head is giving you the problem. Its all part of a leak down test.

Clarence W

Threads
Re: 345 sucking water-solved

Pressurize each cylinder. Remove the coolant cap and you should be able to determine which head is giving you the problem. Its all part of a leak down test.

Good results/news....
Well I pressurized each head, and found some air to pass thru the exhaust , so I plugged the exhaust pipe, and then had the air leak into the radiator (indicating to me that they must be a hole/failure in the head some place, allowing the air pressure to leak thru).
I tested both sides, and found the same scenario, so ordered a set of JD heads ($130.00 each)for the 590V and bought some lapping compound and pulled my valves, springs, and seals, I did quick a compression test after i had it all together, and found the it in the 140 PSI range (was 115 PSI before).
It started right up, and ran fine, the thermostat cycles as it should, and I mowed lawn with all the vigor it had before.
I want to thank you for the suggestions.
I always say, that I am not a mechanic, but I can follow direction if told what to do.

Take care, and enjoy the summer!
Clarence

Glyn Robinson

Threads
glad to see you have it going! got the same engine in my 1994 JD320.