Advice needed for removing solenoid from Scotts mower

wilburn cox

Threads
  • / Advice needed for removing solenoid from Scotts mower
A lady friend of my wife has a Scotts mower made by John Deere. Mower is model # S1642. She thought the starter was bad. I by passed the solenoid and the starter is good and strong. I then checked solenoid and it is bad. the solenoid is just to right of battery box and bolted to the frame with torx head screws from under the frame member. I removed the deck and have the Torx heads and etc but can't figure out what else I should remove underneath in order to reach the Torx heads. What am I missing? Any help will be appreciated. I have tried searching the internet but found nothing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Red Cox, Stephenville TX

JD_TAMO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wilburn,
Look closely at the battery box. Is it plastic or metal? Most of those machines, (not all) had a removable battery box that would allow more access to where you need to go. Take the battery out, and see if you can remove the battery box.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before we go ripping the solenoid, how did you test it.
They very rarely go bad, usually it is a safety switch preventing the + trigger feed or a bad ground and not the solenoid itself.
Having said that it is held in with simple self tappers so if they are not coming out you will need to push from the other side.
Remember that you have a 4 pole solenoid and that both the + trigger and the - trigger are switched

wilburn cox

Threads
Before we go ripping the solenoid, how did you test it.
They very rarely go bad, usually it is a safety switch preventing the + trigger feed or a bad ground and not the solenoid itself.
Having said that it is held in with simple self tappers so if they are not coming out you will need to push from the other side.
Remember that you have a 4 pole solenoid and that both the + trigger and the - trigger are switched
Thanks;bertsmobile; Yes I tested the solenoid several ways and then by passed it and it started. I finally got the solenoid off this morning with a lot of work. The torx head bolts went in from underneath the mower and were extremely hard to get to but finally made it. replaced the solenoid and all is fine now. Yes it was a 4 pole but what do you mean by "both the + trigger and the - trigger are switched"? Just curious.
I sincerely appreciate your help and also notice that you offer your knowledge and assistance on many inquires on the forum. I appreciate this very much.
Have a fantastic day,
Red Cox

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The two small terminals, which down here we call triggers are not polarity sensitative , Just so long as one is + and the other is - it will work.
Some models the - is made with a short wire to the frame while others will run through some of the safety switches to ground.
This is typically found on ZTR's and John Deer who like to really complicate things bu putting a relay in there as well.
So customers come in here telling me the solenoid was bad, they replaced it ( sometimes more than once ) because when they bridged the hot wire to the trigger wire the solenoid did not close but they never checked for a ground on the other wire which like the magneto wire can be ground or open.

wilburn cox

Threads
The two small terminals, which down here we call triggers are not polarity sensitative , Just so long as one is + and the other is - it will work.
Some models the - is made with a short wire to the frame while others will run through some of the safety switches to ground.
This is typically found on ZTR's and John Deer who like to really complicate things bu putting a relay in there as well.
So customers come in here telling me the solenoid was bad, they replaced it ( sometimes more than once ) because when they bridged the hot wire to the trigger wire the solenoid did not close but they never checked for a ground on the other wire which like the magneto wire can be ground or open.
Thanks bertsmobile. I appreciate the info. Have a great day.
Red Cox