JD Z425 vs Z445

caliber1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just throwing this out there since the Kawasaki is no longer an issue. Is the 445 worth the extra $800 for 4 HP and a taller seat? I know the bigger BS has some new features too, just wanting some input. Been mowing 3-4 acres with my 3120 and a 1072R finish mower. Have the wife almost convinced on the ZTR being much faster. Turning that CUT and finish mower around takes some ground and time.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there not a larger hydraulic system on the Z445 ?? I would go with the best hydros... :smile:KennyV

caliber1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good question Kenny. I know on the 2010 models they were the same. More homework to do. :rolleyes:

Is there not a larger hydraulic system on the Z445 ?? I would go with the best hydros... :smile:KennyV

caliber1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually, just did a side by side comparison on JDs web site, and although the 425 has a rated HP of 23, it has more displacement, 44.2 CI, and more oil capacity. Where as the new 445 is only 25 HP, 41.2 CI, And of course the 18 inch tall seat. :cool:

Cabinboy

Threads
Actually, just did a side by side comparison on JDs web site, and although the 425 has a rated HP of 23, it has more displacement, 44.2 CI, and more oil capacity. Where as the new 445 is only 25 HP, 41.2 CI, And of course the 18 inch tall seat. :cool:

Actually 27 HP but ratings today are a lot of smoke and mirrors. i just bought the 445, and what did it for me was the 4 year 300 HR vs 2 yr 120 HR warranty that i received with the 445. Have been able to cut the lawn only once since i brought it home last week (raining since then) but lawn cutting time was cut in 1/2. That's not a typo. I purchased mine with the mulching kit installed.

Tom:cool:

I should also add that I have been contemplating this since last year, and when i finally walked into my local dealer last monday, he had a 445 there with a seat from the 600 series. Sent from the factory like that. Seeing as I'm a fairly big guy ( 6'2" 260 lb) I jumped all over this. 21" seat back is beautiful Good score on my part

Last edited:

caliber1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure I understand what you mean about the warranty Tom. I thought I read they had a 2 year warranty. What did you mow with before the 445? Which deck did you get? Sorry for all the questions.

Actually 27 HP but ratings today are a lot of smoke and mirrors. i just bought the 445, and what did it for me was the 4 year 300 HR vs 2 yr 120 HR warranty that i received with the 445. Have been able to cut the lawn only once since i brought it home last week (raining since then) but lawn cutting time was cut in 1/2. That's not a typo. I purchased mine with the mulching kit installed.

Tom:cool:

I should also add that I have been contemplating this since last year, and when i finally walked into my local dealer last monday, he had a 445 there with a seat from the 600 series. Sent from the factory like that. Seeing as I'm a fairly big guy ( 6'2" 260 lb) I jumped all over this. 21" seat back is beautiful Good score on my part

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure I understand what you mean about the warranty Tom. I thought I read they had a 2 year warranty. What did you mow with before the 445? Which deck did you get? Sorry for all the questions.

Just recently the warranty/hours was bumped up to 4 years on the 445... :smile:KennyV

Cabinboy

Threads

As KennyV pointed out, they've increased the warranty quite substantially on the 445 and the 600 series goes to 4 years 500 hours warranty. I'm kinda of a deere fan......was chopping grass with an LT160 that I purchased new in 2002 with the 42" Freedom (Mulching) Deck. It was a 16 HP Kohler with the Hydrostatic drive in it. Never had a lick of trouble with it, just seemed to take a long time to cut the grass. I figured, I should have as much fun as my neighbours with their zero turn mowers. Can't believe how fast you can cut grass with these machines.
No worry about the questions, that's how we learn things. I looked at Gravely, Exmark, Toro zero turns before I decided on the Deere. But, in all honesty, I was probably a little biased in the first place. Just something about the yellow and Green.:eek:

Its actually still in my Avatar (which I need to change)

Cabinboy

Threads
I just bought a new JD EZ Trak and I don't like the seat everything else is great but the seat.
This is what I'm going to do about that.

Michigan Seat Highback Suspension Seat, Model# V-5300 | Suspension Seats | Northern Tool + Equipment

Buy what you like and don't worry too much about the seat the above seat is waaaaaay better than what the manufacture offers on the new mowers.

That is one smoking seat Black Bart. So far I'm liking the one that came by mistake on mine, but I will keep that one in mind