Blades Craftsman model# 917.289900 electronic blades issue?

Douglas30635

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have cut the yard only twice and the last time I tried it had issues. I usually disengage the blades to go across the driveway. I went to engage the blades and they would not work. I found out it needed a stronger battery for it to work. I bought a new battery and it worked fine for about 2 weeks. Today the solenoid started clicking so I bypassed the solenoid to crank the mower. I got one side of the yard done so I disengaged the blades to go across driveway to finish. I pulled the electric button to engage the blades and it will not engage! Is the solenoid causing my issue of draining the battery or should I call Sears ?

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
sound like the alternator is not working, I'm not sure if that model has a voltage regulator or not

Douglas30635

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I will try looking for it tomorrow

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't disengage/engage the blades any more often than you have to. PTO clutches are not cheap and the only time they really get any wear is during engagement.

Unless your driveway is gravel and the mower will pick it up, let the mower run when you cross it.

FWIW, the blades are not electronic. The only thing electronic about the mower is the electric PTO clutch connected to the belt that drives the blades. It's very similar to the a/c clutch on your car.

Like others, I don't think your battery is charging. If you have a voltmeter, you can easily check this yourself--the voltage across the two battery terminals must be higher when the engine is running than it is when the engine is shut off. Typically this will be 13-14 volts running, 12.7 volts not running.

If this is only the second time you've used your mower, wouldn't it still be under warranty?