Kohler Coil Swap. Command to Courage engine.

darrinster

Threads
Kohler Courage SV735

Recently purchased a Craftsman riding mower with a Kohler Courage twin 26HP. It's having a intermittent spark issue cause of the DSAI modules.

To make sure the engine runs I removed the coils from a Kohler command engine and put them on the Courage. Runs good from what I can tell and on both cylinders. Charging system is working. Doesn't want to restart unless I choke it first. Video of it running here https://youtu.be/T7t_Doe7atc

Just wondering if this could work long term or should I buy the kit to replace the DSAI modules?

Other facts: Mower has 200 hours on it, bent push rod on the fuel pump side (I straightened it back out just only to test) I will be replacing it, Oil is leaking badly from the valve covers and a bolt was snapped off in one of the holes (going to drill it out and tap in a new bolt), oil is really dirty (I plan on doing a few oil changes back to back).

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Push rods bend because of hydraulic locks ( con rods also )
Push rods bend because of coil bound springs because the valve guide has shifted in the head
Push rods bend because the valve itself is stuck in the guide ( oft a precursor to the above. )
Both of the later happen because the head gets too hot.
Replacing the pushrod is treating they symptom , not the problem.

As for coils, electricity can only be slowed down so most "electronic advance units " actually work the opposite way .
They retard the spark then reduce the amount of retard to allow the spark to happen earlier.
Unless the two have he same part number you are risking a timing fault which increases the temperature which over heats the head.
Thus the circle goes round and round.