John Deere F525 Leaking Oil

Onscats1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD F525 with 600 hours. It started leaking oil from the seal on the bottom of the engine. I replaced the seal and it still leaked so I thought I had a bad seal. Replaced the seal again and ran it this time before bolting the electric PTO in place. It wasn't leaking. Once I bolt the PTO in place, it starts leaking without the engine running. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put a gloved finger lightly on the bar PTO shaft while some one cranks the engine with the plugs removed so it does not start and eat your finger.
You are feeling for an eliptical rotation.
Grab the shaft and try to move it back & forth.

I would be thinking a bent shaft ( first test)
or
a flogged out lower bush ( last test )

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put a gloved finger lightly on the bar PTO shaft while some one cranks the engine with the plugs removed so it does not start and eat your finger.
You are feeling for an eliptical rotation.
Grab the shaft and try to move it back & forth.

I would be thinking a bent shaft ( first test)
or
a flogged out lower bush ( last test )

Also check your seal, if its the right seal and make sure you aren't installing it backwards ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When replacing the seal clean the shaft good enough to eat off, nice & shinny then I wrap 2 layers of cling film around the shaft lubricate that with vasoline then slide the seal over the shaft.
The edges of the seal are easily damaged by corrosion on the shaft and /or the sharp edges of the key slot.