Problems with my deck

rodneyirmen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a YTH 18542 Model 960130002 Serial 020508C001829

I bought it about 8 or 9 years ago. Ever since I had it it burned oil, about 1/2 a cup each time i mowed about 1 1/2 hours. I can't seem to level the deck either and nither can the dealer and it is slowly getting lower to the ground all the time, in the fully raised position it cuts the grass about 2" long. Last year it quit all together when I took it into the dealer he checked it out and told me it needed a new engine, he wanted $1,400.00 plus shipping and labor. I took it home and pulled the valve cover off and the intake valve was stuck open. I got a new head for $263.00 and put it on it has been running great ever since don't burn oil either but I still have a problem with my deck any ideas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have to do some welding , drilling and parts replacement
on this diagram https://www.partstree.com/parts/husqvarna/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/yth-18542-96013000202-husqvarna-yard-tractor-2008-02/mower-lift/ replace item 11 + 12 + 19 x 2 + 2.
On some mowers item 2 can not be removed so you either need to build up the flogged out holes or position 11 & 12 in different holes.
Note there are two bushes , item 6 these will also be shot & need replacing.

Then at the front have a close look at the two drag links , item 15 if they have deep grooves worn in them either replace or build them up the same with the pins , item 17.
Then look at the holes where the pins and drag links run in.
They will be flogged out oval as well.
So weld up the holes in the deck & redrill them or move the link to a lower hole.
On the mower end, pins ( Item 17 ) fit into a hanger.
On some mowers it is a bolt on replacement while others it is welded on so it is a build up & redrill job.

As you can see this is a lot of work.
Charged out at a shops regular labour rate you are talking 2/3 the price of a new mower.
I have done it, or part there of on a few occasions, we got one up to 4.5" cut height.
Any more & the belts rub everywhere and you end up fouling on the drive belt as well.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome: Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to move this thread over to our Husqvarna section.

PIJoe

Threads
I have the same slow lowering of the deck on my YTH mower- I just replaced it, but found a brand new 52" deck on CL that I might pick up to give the old girl some life yet.