new to me MTD mastercut problems

guyina4x4

Threads
I just picked up a 2012 mastercut by MTD 13AJ795S (sold at Farm and Fleet)

it starts up good, seems to run fine, maybe a little rough will drive around fine.
problem is, engine running, not moving, full throttle, engage blades and runs a little more rough, start moving and the engine will die.
it will move and mow at about half mowing speed but something seems rough. and try to speed up to much and it stall out.

any ideas where start?
thanks in advance
Scott

guyina4x4

Threads
Intek with fuel issues?? maybe

I think I'm going to look into the fuel system, it does surge a little at full throttle
start with a carb clean I suppose
the engine is a Intek 31p667 0804 b2
does is have a fuel pump? are there any little tips or tricks you can give me?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carb is not getting enough fuel, either to it or through it.
Can be as simple as water accumulating in the tank carb.
Dust & grass clippings blocking off the fuel outlet

guyina4x4

Threads
OK, so it finally didn't rain today and I got to look at the rider.
I thought I got lucky and I did some what, I found a dead bug and some plastic bits in the gas tank right at the output.
After cleaning out the tank the mower runs much better and I was able to mow the grass.
I'm still getting some surging under load in the taller grass, so I'm going to clean the carb yet, hopefully yet this weekend.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, so it finally didn't rain today and I got to look at the rider.
I thought I got lucky and I did some what, I found a dead bug and some plastic bits in the gas tank right at the output.
After cleaning out the tank the mower runs much better and I was able to mow the grass.
I'm still getting some surging under load in the taller grass, so I'm going to clean the carb yet, hopefully yet this weekend.

Take the fuel lines off and clean them out.
Good chance you will finds bits & pieces of bug stuck everywhere

guyina4x4

Threads
I got the carb of today, didn't find any more bits of bug but the float bowl was full of gunk, so I cleaned that out and poked all the little holes with a wire and hosed everything out good with a full can of carb cleaner.
She runs great now!
So feeling cocky I went and got oil and a filter and a new spark plug.
All done and runs like new

guyina4x4

Threads
little update

I wound up cleaning the carb about 3 more times and it would run good for about 20 minutes and then start surging again.
I finally just bought a brand new carb off eBay, $22, it been on there over a month and runs great every time.
best $22 I've spent in a while

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't argue with success.....
Congrats !