Sticky Throttle Cable

jaygreg

Threads
Slippery throttle cable!
Bolens ST125
Model 3012G
B&G 12 HP engine 404707-0117-01

The throttle lever slides from full to 3/4 since I mindlessly put oil at the top of the cable and allowed some to trickle down the sheath. Now it won't stay at full throttle.

The mower mechanic said it needs a new cable but it's been BO'd for two weeks. I don't think he's going to find on. What's more... I don't think I need a new cable! I think tension can be applied to that cable to hold it where it's put by making some adjustment at either end... But I don't have experience with this type of adjustment ... if there is such a thing.

Anyone care to comment? Suggestion where to get a cable... if needed? Advise on making a simple adjustment.

P.S. I have a parts and service manual if you need to direct me to a sketch or page.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get some pincers and put a notch in your end of the outer when the cable is fully out
If that is not good enough, put another one in.

jaygreg

Threads
That's a damned good suggestion ... if it's my last resort. I take it there is no adjustment to be made on this cable? Have no experience with it, I don't know if there is any downside to putting that crimp in the cable. Maybe I can find some type of clip (a fishing line lead slip-shot sinker perhaps) I can remove if necessary later.

Good idea though. I do that if it's confirmed there is no adjustment.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cable should slide easily in the housing.

There should be some kind of friction adjustment at the pivot of the throttle lever assembly.

jaygreg

Threads
That's my thought too; there SHOULD be some adjustment provision. What's more, thinking about that suggestion to crimp the cable, if that assembly works as I envision it, that suggestion won't work. It would prevent the cable from retracting to lower speeds.

How someone has a picture and experience with this. After paying $350 to a mechanic who replaced a magneto and some wires... I expect the thing to work!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I say there SHOULD be a friction adjustment, that doesn't mean it will be something you can adjust with a wrench. The throttle assembly may not have a bolt, friction washer and locknut. It may use a rivet to hold it together, in which case you'll have to get it off the machine and 'adjust' it with a hammer and punch.

Everything today is designed for the quickest one-time assembly possible. Little or no thought is given to maintenance or repair.