Briggs Intek 18.0 no compression

carrot67

Forum Newbie
Threads
My tractor stopped mowing last year and I just had time to check it out. I don't know much about parts name, but I removed the head gasket and it doesn't look good at all.

Looks like there is a ring stuck in one of the valve and there is oil pretty much everywhere (which I'm not sure there should be). Please see pictures.

Is this worth saving? Can I clean this up and fix?

IMG-2053.jpgIMG-2052.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The ring is the exhaust valve seat. You can remove the valve and put that ring back in place, and then take a punch and peen the aluminum head around the edge of the seat to hold it in place. May need to get some valve lapping compound to lap the valve back into place to where it will seal properly. Sometimes the seats don't fit square to the valve after coming out. I wouldn't worry about the oil in the cylinder and the oil in the push rod cavity is suppose to be there.

The seat comes loose due to running too hot so make sure the cooling fins are clean.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
spot on advice

carrot67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me attempt that repair and see if this will work out. My guess is that I need to clean all this up as well. Thanks!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Definitely clean up the valve seat, & it's seating location, so it sits flush. The other bits would not hurt to be cleaned up as well.

carrot67

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think ordering the head cylinder will make my life easier. There seems to be some damaged area when the ring came off. Looks like the new head cylinder also comes with some of the parts I'll need anyway.

What can I do with the existing broken parts? Do they recycle them?

Thanks,

Steve

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Flea Bay- Craigs etc,
Some one will give you a few $$$$ for it.
There is always some one with more time than money.
We have a self help charity for old fools ( like I will be ) called "The Mens Shed " where silly old farts meat some where and fix things.
While doing this they talk about stuff, health-family etc.
This is because men talk side by side doing something where as women talk face to face over a coffee.
It has dropped the older mens suiside rate around 40% and saved a fortune, cause we only ever see a doctor when we are really sick, about 5 years too late for cancer.
So they get all my old bits that can be salvaged with a little machining- welding- painting etc.

It worked so well we exported the concept world wide, so there might be one near you.

carrot67

Forum Newbie
Threads
New head cylinder is installed and working great as far as I can tell. The backfire when turning off engine at lower speed still present (had this problem before), but I can live with that!

BTW, I did break 2 head bolts because I use the wrong torque setting. Rookie mistake. They were easy to extract.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well done.
The backfire will be the solenoid in the carb.
It's job is to shut off the fuel so when the engine is running down, with no spark you do not vent unburned fuel to atmosphere.
Secondary to this unburned fuel does not end up in the red hot muffler where it will explode when the air fuel ratio becomes a combustable level.

carrot67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well done.
The backfire will be the solenoid in the carb.
It's job is to shut off the fuel so when the engine is running down, with no spark you do not vent unburned fuel to atmosphere.
Secondary to this unburned fuel does not end up in the red hot muffler where it will explode when the air fuel ratio becomes a combustable level.

I thought I tested that solenoid last year and it seemed to work fine. I guess I'll check it out again.