Vanguard oil guard ..is it worth upgrading mowers for ?

Rludington

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Vanguard oil guard ..is it worth upgrading mowers for ?
I like the literature I read about this new oil guard on the vanguard engines from ferris. But, the smallest model is the is2100 .. where it would be nice to have. This mower, I don't need anything that big. The is700 , and probably the is600 would be just fine. But I have also found.. that sometimes bigger is better, even if you don't need it. Is it really worth the extra cash going from 6k up to 9k to get this ? Will this help increase the longevity of the mower ? My current standard JD170 is 27 years old and still runs fine.. I just need something a bit easier on my back. Looking at comparable lawn tractors, there all junk. You have to move to commercial grade to get something built as well.. as they say, they just don't build them like they use to.. I did pay 2700 back in 1990 though. So with inflation I suppose the 8k is close. And that ferris suspension,looks pretty good. I'm just really having a problem picking the engine.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would definitely not be worth it to me.

cruzenmike

Threads
My step dad just purchased an is2100z with the Briggs EFI but he got the 16' that did not have the oil guard system. Even with mowing 3-4 acres a week, he will only see 75-100 hours of use per year. The oil guard system is supposed to offer up to 500 hours in-between oil changes, so this feature is tailored specifically to commercial users. Regardless of how many hours you put on it, a spring oil change is always recommended regardless of the oil guards ability to stretch the hours out in-between routine changes. So yes, it wouldn't be worth it for you.