42" ZTR - Toro, Hustler, and Husqvarna ?

Bob Es

Threads
Test drove all three today... Have 3/4 acre to cut. Toro SS4225, Hustler Raptor, and the Husqvarna Z242F.... Toro slightly less cost than the other two. The Husqvarna had larger 6" wide front wheels, welded deck, and 21.5 Kawasaki motor.... Kohler on the Raptor. The Husqvarna just seemed much better handling and more solid all the way around... Any comments or opinions on durability, quality of cut, or other would be appreciated. Tks.

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW: Toro Dealers hold year end sale 3rd week of August. You could probably step up to a 42MX (welded deck & etc) for same money as the 4225

PS: I'm partial to Toro, so my opinion 'may' be slightly biased. :laughing:

cruzenmike

Threads
I once had a SS4225 and the cut quality was exceptional; of course I tended to never let it get too long between cuttings and I drove it very slow. I test drove a Raptor limited and I did feel as if the steering/motion control levers were a bit smoother than the Toro's. The Husqvarna does feel solid as you stated but I didn't care much for how the levers felt either. In this case you have to decide between stamped or fabricated deck, Kohler or Kawasaki engine! Simply answering those two questions will make up your mind.

Mike

Bob Es

Threads
Thanks for the input.... I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna with the fab deck and Kawasaki engine, but don't see a lot of info on them in the forum. I was hoping there might be some who have owned one that could chime in, good or bad.... thanks again..

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can comment on the Kaw engine, I'm 3 years into having my 21.5 Kaw.
Runs flawlwssly & plenty of power. :thumbsup:

Take your time & keep doing your homework.