Over-researched and overwhelmed . .

cruzenmike

Threads
Good evening all. So here is the story; I will keep it short:

I have a Cub Cadet LTX1050. I purchased it used and have put a significant amount of money into it since I got it (governor, regulator, carb rebuild, pulleys, belts, pto, etc.). After about 20 hours of doing all this work, it is starting to act up again. I was just handed down an eXmark which I will use to cut the grass, so the Cub Cadet has been re-purposed as a utility machine. I have a roller, aerator, wagon and snow blade. Now that I am starting to have issues with the rider again, I am thinking of just buying something new to have a dependable backup mower to the eXmark and to take over the heavy duty tasks that I am currently using the Cub Cadet for. Here are my only two options:

Cub Cadet GT50 for $2699
25HP Kohler
50" Stamped Deck
K58 Hydrostatic

Pros: Works with existing snow blade, has great steering (light), powerful engine, great styling
Cons: Transmission, although better than a K46 is still a limited slip (not as good for snow or pulling attachments), complaints of finicky safety switches

Husqvarna GT48DXLS for $2699
24HP Kawasaki
48" Fabricated Deck
K66 Hydrostatic

Pros: Arguably better engine, lifetime warranty on deck, more robust transmission with locking diff.
Cons: Stiff steering with wider radius, limited to 3.5" cut height, requires buying a new snow blade

From the specs alone, the Husqvarna is the clear choice, especially being discounted $300 to match the price of the Cub Cadet, but that cost is quickly consumed by the new blade I have to purchase. Am I crazy for still considering getting an XT1 because of the cheaper price in the end and the easier steering, or will I regret not having the rear locker when pulling a 920lb roller or pushing snow? Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thank you.

Mike

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems simple to me--Husky.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
cruze, Be careful with the Husqy model designatioin and pricing. I found a lot of dealer confusion on what model has what trans. There "were" 2 non slip diffs available , I believe. One a "limited slip" similar to automotive options where no switch action is required. The other a true locker ( I have) with a dash-mounted switch (K 66) . At the time I purchased the locker was not available with Kaw, so I reluctantly bought the Endurance Intek ( so far so good). The price is also a clue. My purchase was on an aged showroom queen discounted for cash. The list price was well above $3000. Take a look at the Husqy forum here.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's called "analysis paralysis."

Engineering-types are especially prone to it.

cruzenmike

Threads
cruze, Be careful with the Husqy model designatioin and pricing. I found a lot of dealer confusion on what model has what trans. There "were" 2 non slip diffs available , I believe. One a "limited slip" similar to automotive options where no switch action is required. The other a true locker ( I have) with a dash-mounted switch (K 66) . At the time I purchased the locker was not available with Kaw, so I reluctantly bought the Endurance Intek ( so far so good). The price is also a clue. My purchase was on an aged showroom queen discounted for cash. The list price was well above $3000. Take a look at the Husqy forum here.

Motoman,

This specific model definitely has the K66ELD with the rocker switch. The GT48DXLS was a spring order, dealer only model. The combination of Kawasaki engine, newly designed fabricated deck and the locking differential are what appealed to me. I have been trying to stay away from the Briggs engine seeing as I have had so many issues with the engine in my Cub Cadet. Anyway, the price of this model is shocking. For $3k you are getting what would cost $5k in a Deere. And being on sale, it will only end up costing me $2700. There truly is no better value out there. I assume from your experience with Husqvarna, you are satisfied overall? Thanks for your input.

Mike

cruzenmike

Threads
It's called "analysis paralysis."

Engineering-types are especially prone to it.

I suffer terribly from this "disease." I did find some books out there that discuss this topic; which I may need to read up on. Thanks.

Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without meaning to sound condesending at that price, pick the colour you like most or the one with the longest warranty.
All of them have been downgraded as much as possible to make the price as low as possible so as you have already noticed there is 5/8 of SFA difference between any of them.
The only real difference is the deck & blades and you need to talk to some real consultants to find which combination will mow the grass that you have best .
IF you are pushing snow and dragging a 1/2 ton roller then consider a compact tractor because all any residential garden tractor is going to do is empty your wallet

cruzenmike

Threads
Without meaning to sound condesending at that price, pick the colour you like most or the one with the longest warranty.
All of them have been downgraded as much as possible to make the price as low as possible so as you have already noticed there is 5/8 of SFA difference between any of them.
The only real difference is the deck & blades and you need to talk to some real consultants to find which combination will mow the grass that you have best .
IF you are pushing snow and dragging a 1/2 ton roller then consider a compact tractor because all any residential garden tractor is going to do is empty your wallet

I understand what you are saying and yes, at these price points you really are splitting hairs, but when you talk about a transmission that will cost you 2-3 grand more in a John Deere, or an engine that you simply cannot find in any competitor at the same price point, the specs still seem to matter. As for the lawn roller, this specific model is rated for ground engaging equipment and has a HD trans with diff lock, has 1" axles and make 310 ft/lbs of axle torque. Having a completely flat property, the roller should not be an issue. As for the compact tractor, trust me, I considered it, but price was the deciding factor.

Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a lot more different in the JD for the extra $3000 than just the trannies.
JD have a different specificationfor their engines, they are a cut above the standard, they also press the frames from thicker steel and fit a lot more bushes where control shafts go through holes so they don't flog out oval.
You do not see it in a spec sheet but I do when I get under the mower to fix something.
Your eyes seem wide open enough, just don't be dissapointed when in 3 years the mower you bought starts to fall apart.
A cheap tractor requires consistant & carefull maintanance if you expect to get good service life out of it.

cruzenmike

Threads
There is a lot more different in the JD for the extra $3000 than just the trannies.
JD have a different specificationfor their engines, they are a cut above the standard, they also press the frames from thicker steel and fit a lot more bushes where control shafts go through holes so they don't flog out oval.
You do not see it in a spec sheet but I do when I get under the mower to fix something.
Your eyes seem wide open enough, just don't be dissapointed when in 3 years the mower you bought starts to fall apart.
A cheap tractor requires consistant & carefull maintanance if you expect to get good service life out of it.

The average consumer will never truly "break" their riding mower or garden tractor until/unless they start using it for heavy duty tasks like I hope to do with mine. All other failures will be from normal wear. I will only be rolling and aerating a couple times a year. Of course maintenance is important and will always be done. Most importantly, so long as the machine is never worked outside of it's capabilities (which it won't), failures will be kept to a minimum. As for the build quality, the frame, bushings, clips and all that do matter, but to what extent? All I was saying is that if I want a 24hp Kawasaki and Tuff-Torq K66 locker, it's either this or something green for $3000 more. At the end of the day, I can guarantee you that I can buy two of these for the price of one of those, but I cannot guarantee that one of these will necessarily last half as long as one of those. We take risks in everything we buy these days, but I have confidence that this Husqvarna won't let me down.