1992, 14SB Hard to start..........

billjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
This is my first post after recently finding this site while trying to find out what happened with my JD 14SB. I have read several other threads here about similar issues but wanted to try and see if I can get something clear in my head. I bought this new in 1992 and have used and serviced it regularly all these years. Early this Spring it all of a sudden became hard to start. I used to throw it in the choke position, one, possibly 2 pulls and it was running fine. All of a sudden without any other circumstances it started taking 12 or more pulls, than when it started it smoked a little and ran rough for about 10 secs as if the choke was closed. At this same time I noticed that when I went to pull the rope it sometimes wouldn't budge, than it would seem to let go and I could continue pulling it. My first thought was to clean the carb, which I did with no change and than I thought about just replacing the carb being it's 25 years old. While researching my problem I came across this site and the mention of the BBC being involved. While I read all of those posts the question that came to mind is can the BBC cause the starting problem, and if so how? Is there something in the BBC system that grounds the coil preventing it from starting? As I mentioned after pulling it 12 or so times before it starts, when it does start it seems like the engine is flooded than clears up and everything is fine until the next time I go to use it. Once started on any given day it will start right up if I shut it off for any reason during my mowing. Any suggestions or comments, especially in regards to the BBC being involved and how it is? Thanks for any help.

Bill