valve adj.

cambre

Threads
Does an 18 HP B&S intek OHV eng. have a cap on each valve stem? Thanks for an answer.

Tinkerer200

Threads
When asking an engine question it is best to post the model number of the engine since there are often more than one fitting the general description.

Some B&S Service Manuals indicate early engines may not have had caps on valves but I have never seen one and if one valve has a cap then both did originally.

Walt Conner

cambre

Threads
When asking an engine question it is best to post the model number of the engine since there are often more than one fitting the general description.

Some B&S Service Manuals indicate early engines may not have had caps on valves but I have never seen one and if one valve has a cap then both did originally.

Walt Conner

I agree, I will have to go to my shop to get info. The exhaust has a cap & the intake doesn't. I will get info & get back to you. Thanks

cambre

Threads
I agree, I will have to go to my shop to get info. The exhaust has a cap & the intake doesn't. I will get info & get back to you. Thanks

Its a B&S 18 HP Intek, Model#917.273392, Serial#022504C004072. Can I set the valve without a cap? Thanks for the help.

Tinkerer200

Threads
The model number you posted is the Sears mower model number. The engine model number is likely stamped into the valve cover and the answer is yes but I would expect the valve has been sticking is why/how the cap came off UNLESS this is second hand and you don't know what the previous owner did. The cap is probably in the sump.

Walt Conner

cambre

Threads
The model number you posted is the Sears mower model number. The engine model number is likely stamped into the valve cover and the answer is yes but I would expect the valve has been sticking is why/how the cap came off UNLESS this is second hand and you don't know what the previous owner did. The cap is probably in the sump.

Walt Conner

Sorry about the wrong model#. The mower belongs to a neighbor & has not been used for a few years. The valve sticking to cause cap to come off is what probably happen. Will the valve adjust & engine run with out the valve cap & not damage anything? Thanks for the help.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Yes, unless the cap IS in the sump and gets into something like timing gears - odds are it won't but - - - -.

Walt Conner