Blade Brake Arm position?

Tree_Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman mower 46 inch deck, model: 917.289240.

Can someone take a picture of this part on their mower? Looks like it's called Blade Brake Arm.
How does this look on your mower? What is the position of it?

Mine seems to be in the wrong position and is touching/damaging the belt. I bought it used.
How does a Blade Brake work? When is the brake to the blades/belt/pullys applied?

Something is wrong with my belt or position, or pullys. First the blades were only slowly spinning, then I tried tightening the belt.
Now it's either too tight or too loose, but the belt is now damaged.

Thank you!
Randy

Attachments

• Mower.jpg
    Mower.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1078.jpg
    DSCN1078.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 20

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Normally the brake arm is between the two sides of the belt where it goes around the spindle pulley. That arm is bent way out of shape, A new brake arm would probably fit where it belong better.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And that brake pad has worn through so it needs replacing anyway as will that belt, bummer as it looks new.
The clock spring holds it tight against the pulley and the rod ( which needs to be straitened ) pulls it off.
You adjust it with the nut which should be a flanged nylock or a thick washer, nut & jambnut ( or locknut ).
I generally replace them in pairs

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What I circled in red should ride on the pulley when blades are off.
craftsman brake.jpg

Tree_Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Normally the brake arm is between the two sides of the belt where it goes around the spindle pulley. That arm is bent way out of shape, A new brake arm would probably fit where it belong better.

I tried bending it back to the original position, then put it back on. When I turned on the blades, it immediately went to the side, where the belt was rubbing against it.

Now that I understand what it's for, that it's purpose is to stop the blades quickly when you turn them off, then I think I don't even need it. When I turn off the blades, I'll just wait for them to stop turning before I get off. There is also a brake on the other pulley, which is working correctly.

So I took it off and it worked fine. Mowed 2 hours with it. Until my niece used it to find an aluminum baseball bat. Good news, she found the missing bat!

Thanks for your help, ILENGINE, BertsMobile and BlazNT!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes they are a bit Nanny state IMHO however the reason whey they became manditory was because some on managed to injure themselves on disengaged blades then successfully sued the mower company.
So it is possible to hurt yourself or your family