New guy here.

old roller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello there. My name is Roland and I'm new to this forum. I'm 81 years old, but am extremely active with gardening and working on my friend's farm. Hence the handle Old Roller. :cool:

I have a couple cub cadet mowers, and am currently along with my son building a Go-Fast old MTD machine that I got for free for fun around the neighborhood, and to run to the mailbox sometimes. I am having one issue trying to do a pulley swap to the trans-axle. The pulley that came off is a 9" pulley that I want to change to a 4 or 5 inch pulley. The original pulley is 5/8" bore and is splined with very fine teeth. I think it's like 36 teeth. Anyway, I thought that somewhere out there probably exists a pulley that will go right on and give me the size reduction I want. Or, I may have to Fab something to make it work which is ok too. Any thoughts you all might have on making this swap would be greatly appreciated. The pulleys I have found in 5/8" bore size are mostly the ones with a key way or very coarse teeth that I don't think would work. However I have found online that for an older Murray mower from say the mid to late 80's a 5 1/4" pulley that looks right. They are calling it a Jackshaft pulley. It's 5 1/4" with a 5/8" bore and lots of teeth. It looks as though it would work.

So there you have it. I have plans to keep improving the mower with a steering upgrade and brake upgrade to make it safer. I just want to have some fun while I still am able. Thanks in advance for any input, and thanks for welcoming me to the forum.

Roland
aka Old Roller

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi Roland. Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you here!

I'm going to move your thread over to our MTD section. :smile:

old roller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. Sorry I didn't really think about the fact I was posing a question as well. Thanks for moving it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the forum. And by the way we want pictures.