GRAVELY PROMASTER 200 RUNS ONLY ON CHOKE

blackchevy3de

Threads
I HAVE THIS GRAVELY ZERO TURN, I BELIEVE ITS A 1995, HAS A KOHLER CV20, 20 HP V TWIN MOTOR, WOULD ONLY RUN ON FULL CHOKE, CLEANED CARB,AND IT RAN GREAT FOR 5 HOURS,THEN STALLED AND AGAIN WILL ONLY RAN ON CKOKE, THIS TIME I REMOVERED THE GAS TANK AND FLUSHED IT OUT, IT REALLY WASNT BAD, I THEN REPLACED ALL FUEL LINES AND FUEL FILTER ,TRYED A FUEL PUMP OFF ONE OF MY RUNING MOWERS,AND AGAIN CLEANED CARB PROFESSIONAL,AND STILL RUNS ON ONLY CHOKE, I DONT BELIEVE ITS FUEL NOW. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS JIM. PS I ALSO CHECKED COMPRESSION 145 AND 150.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has to be fuel related. The only thing the choke changes is the fuel/air ratio.

blackchevy3de

Threads
It has to be fuel related. The only thing the choke changes is the fuel/air ratio.
Iknow it sounds fuel related, but it wasn't, I had changed all lines cleaned carb and checked for any vac leaks and found nothing wrong. I pulled cover off to check for vac leaks, and started engine it ran great with no choke, I checked all wiring under cover all good,so I reinstalled cover and started it and it was back to running only on ckoke, and not running good,i shut it down and removed wire plug from reg and let it hang, started motor again ran great reinstalled reg plug and motor stalled, tried another reg that I had and still no good, I checked wiring and found some bad conections and brunt wires at the ign switch, placed wires and installed the reg started motor and it now runs great. ive been around mowers for 25 years and never ran into anything like this. I don't have a answer for this I just know i mowed with it for hours now and all is good. Thanks

Boit4852

Threads
When you have to use the choke to keep a warm/hot engine running, you have a plugged low speed/idle jet in the carb. This jet has a very tiny orifice and is easily plugged. Luckily the fix is relatively simple. Getting to the jet may be a chore. If you are mechanically inclined, do the steps to remove the carb. Locate the idle jet and remove it. Be very gentle as it is probably brass. Once you have it out, hold it up to a strong light and try to look through the orifice. The hole will be very very tiny. If you can see the light(which you won't), it's plugged. Try blowing it out with compressed air. DO NOT TRY TO FORCE A FINE WIRE THROUGH THE ORIFICE!. That will only enlarge the orifice and have a negative effect on the engine idle. If you can't clear the plug, put the jet in a pot of boiling water for a short period of time and then try blowing it out again. Dawn dishwashing soap helps when boiling.