Repairs Using steel lift rods instead of aluminum

Michael_Gee

Threads
Hey all,

This is my first post here but not my first issue with my Intek/Briggs&Stratton 331777.
About 2 years ago I blew the head gasket. I fixed it and all was well until about 2 weeks ago when aluminum intake rod broke in half. I took off the head and pull the pushrod out, which had broken right in half. Everything looks good and value seats are fine so I was just going to order another lift rod BUT then I watched this (https://youtu.be/NM28FSoUGLQ?t=8m36s). He replaced the intake aluminum rod with a exhaust steel rod for added strength. I also thought this might be a good idea since maybe the steel would only bend next time (and you know there will probably be a next time with these engines) and not break in half like the aluminum. When it broke in half I was a bit worried that a piece might end up in the crankcase where with the steel, this chances of this happening might be lessened.
Other than maybe added cost, I can't see why Briggs & Stratton would not go with all steel pushrods but this also seems to be the norm with everything I've seen.

Anyone have any insite into this metal choice as well as any concerns with me doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Dixieboy

Threads
Since you don't have a reply I will give it my two cents. The idea to replace the aluminum push rod with the steel one sounds like a good idea. Must be a reason the aluminum was used in the first place. Lighter valve train parts reduces the load/stress on all the valve train parts. At high rpm that is very important but on a lawnmower engine? not so sure if it would have that much effect. I would use a steel one if they are the same dimensions. They seem to cost about the same. Exhaust valve train parts will run hotter so maybe the steel is used for that reason.