Belt sander for blade sharpening?

Dogwalker10

Threads
I have 10 blades to sharpen. I usually use a really coarse file followed by finer files. I have thought of getting a belt sander primarily to sharpen mower blades, but also axes, hoes, etc.

How many sharpen their blades with a belt sander? What size belt?

Walt

Mr. Ed

Threads
I gave some serious thought to using that method, but found it was hard (for me) to keep a consistent 30 degree angle. Of course, there's the Work Sharp Tool, but it sounds like you have a lot of blades to sharpen... probably more than would make sense on that little unit.

What I've used instead for many years is a bench grinder and a jig to hold the blade I want to sharpen. For the jig, I cut a piece of 6x6 down to about 16" long, and cut a shelf most of the way down on one side (from end to end) to rest the blade. Then cut the base to the proper angle and height to achieve the desired grind. Clamp the blade in the jig with a C clamp, and slide it back and forth across the grinding wheel. I have two jigs with different heights and angles that I use for different blades. I wish I had the ability to post a video (I don't, being a Neanderthal), but if you can imagine the correct position and angle of the blade where it should meet the grinding wheel, I bet you can come up with something that works.

Sorry I can't do a better job of describing the jig. Let me know if you want more info, and I can try to take a picture (no guarantee on the results).

I really wanted a high end professional sharpening system, but for next to nothing in out of pocket expense, some experimenting and using scrap lumber, a couple of hours of effort yielded terrific results.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mr. Ed- I like your sharpening wood jig. I can visualize it.

Afterwords balancing is important as well.

cruzenmike

Threads
I personally use a bench vise to hold the blade and an Arnold Sharpener which connects to my drill. I have sharpened at least 9 blades this way and I am quite pleased with the $8 Arnold tool.

Dogwalker10

Threads
I personally use a bench vise to hold the blade and an Arnold Sharpener which connects to my drill. I have sharpened at least 9 blades this way and I am quite pleased with the $8 Arnold tool.

Where do you get them?

greenguy

Threads
I just ordered an All American sharpener, hope it works as well as it looks, simple but consistent.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let us know how you like the All American sharpener.

Fuzzy1

Threads
I use a 6"X48" stationary belt sander. 2 pieces of plywood screwed together to make a support and a fence to set the blade against while tilting it into the spinning belt. Can do a set of blades in a few minutes at most.