Belt sander for blade sharpening?

Dogwalker10

Threads
I personally use a bench vise to hold the blade and an Arnold Sharpener which connects to my drill. I have sharpened at least 9 blades this way and I am quite pleased with the $8 Arnold tool.
Actually I have one of these I bought several years ago and never used. I use the balance tool, but never the sharpener. I got it thinking I could sharpen the blade on my finish mower without removing them. I plan to try it this winter.

puspunta

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you get a good one, it will work well enough for sharpening swords. But at that price point, the quality control is not great and I know a couple of people who bought those 1x30 sanders where the pulleys were not properly positioned and the belts couldn't be tightened properly. The belts were so loose that control over the edge angle is next to impossible. I got lucky with mine in that the belts are super tight. With high quality 3M Trizact https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ belts I can create very sharp edges on my blades with very good control over the edge angle.
But for large-scale grinding when creating sword blades through stock removal, the belts are too small and the motor is underpowered, as fallen and brotherbanzai stated. Unless of course.

havok

Forum Newbie
Threads
Using different file types helps you get the best sharpening results. Gradually reducing the hardness of the files helps to sharpen any blade evenly. I use the same principle in my work when processing wood and preparing it before varnishing. The use of different types of sanding discs helps to achieve a completely flat and smooth surface. However, unlike the Belt sander, I need a powerful and multifunctional sander with speed and power control. Fortunately, the market is filled with such tools, the main thing is to choose a quality option. Most of the time, I trust the Bobs website recommendations for good tools. From the proposed list, I choose the most suitable one for myself.

Last edited:

Donr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think a 41/2" grinder with used flapper disc works great.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Using different file types helps you get the best sharpening results. Gradually reducing the hardness of the files helps to sharpen any blade evenly. I use the same principle in my work when processing wood and preparing it before varnishing. The use of different types of sanding discs helps to achieve a completely flat and smooth surface. However, unlike the Belt sander, I need a powerful and multifunctional sander with speed and power control. Fortunately, the market is filled with such tools, the main thing is to choose a quality option. Most of the time, I trust the Bobs website recommendations for good tools. From the proposed list, I choose the most suitable one for myself.
just remember this s not a chisel , plane sword or knife/
It is a mower blade and gets sharpened to a flat face 1mm ( push mowers ) or 2 mm ( ride ons ) wide .
Sharpening for a mower blade is just to remove big burs from hitting rocks and reshaping he front to a strait line.
Then balancing it left right and hopefully front back .
As such fine honeing is overkill

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get an extra set of blades. Take one set to a mower shop. They have professional sharpeners and balancing tools. Waaaay cheaper than buying all these sanders and making some dangerous jigs plus your time.

Or just use a hand file. As Bert was hitting on, this is not rocket science. I can sharpen a blade in 1-2 minutes with a hand file. Use Oregon blades too. Lot less sharpening required.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hand file & balance my blades as well. Plus have an extra set, always ready.

94mod

Forum Newbie
Threads
I may as well add my two cents. IF and I mean IF you have a lot of blades to grind, you cannot beat the Burr King grinder belt grinder. It has a 1.5 HP motor and I believe 8000 feet per minute belt speed. belt speed. It is sold under the Oregon brand. It is very powerful and by far the fastest rotary blade grinder I have ever seen. It is expensive but we sharpen 30 or more commercial blades twice a week and our time is valuable. I can sharpen a heavy duty blade in less than a minute and always at the correct angle.

jenkinsph

Threads
I use a 10" bench grinder 1 hp Delta. Had this for 35 years or so does a good job fast. I have one of the small 30" x1" belt sanders but have not found it good for anything, My 6 x 48 Delta with 12" side disc will get some work done too.