big ox mower deck

jb5050

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello, i have a 4ft. big ox, (challenger 2 ) mower deck that i pull behind my 20hp tractor. it is a 3pt. hitch, I have never used it before, it does turn by hand, hard mind you, but it can be turned. I need to know how much and what type of gear oil to use in the gearbox, it also says it has a clutch? Can someone tell me how that works? I also need to know where to buy blades for it, there are 3 that i have not measured yet. thank you for your help in advance. Believe me i need it. jack

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A RFM (rear finish mower) will not turn easily because of the gear box & the belt drives.
You should change the gear box lube, your biggest challenge will be removing the old lube.
Refill with a good synthetic multi wt gear oil like 80w140... fill to the side removable plug.
Grease each blade spindle every 10 hours of use.

A finish mower normally has no clutch on the pto drive shaft, not needed because the blades are driven from the gear box with a belt. The belt will allow some slip if it encounters an excessive load.
You will normally find a drive line clutch on a sickle or shredder type mower or a rototiller that has nothing in the system to slip.

Remove one of your blades and measure:
Diagonal length.
Width
Thickness
Bolt hole diameter.
note weather it is CW or CCW rotation blade (as viewed from the TOP of the deck).

I am not positive but I think the Big OX mower uses left hand threads on the blades... KennyV

173abn

Threads
Kenny ,could that clutch hes referring to be an over running clutch on the pto? I have an offbrand finishing mower I used to cut with made in italy,FirstChoice and found blades for it using google. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
could that clutch hes referring to be an over running clutch on the pto?

russ... yes it could be...
usually an overrun clutch is attached at the tractor, between the tractor pto shaft and the implement shaft, If he has a picture of the clutch it will be easy to tell what type it is... KennyV