Buying Advice SCAG Tiger Cat II vs KUBOTA ZD

Gunhead58

Threads
I went into it thinking I was going with the Kubota. After talking to a lot of people (probably too many) and going to see them both, I'm now leaning toward the SCAG. I've just got to get comfortable with my decision and then pull the trigger. At my age and five years from retiring, I have to spend my kids and grandkids inheritance wisely. Thx for all the input. I'll post pix when I get it home.... Thx.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went into it thinking I was going with the Kubota. After talking to a lot of people (probably too many) and going to see them both, I'm now leaning toward the SCAG. I've just got to get comfortable with my decision and then pull the trigger. At my age and five years from retiring, I have to spend my kids and grandkids inheritance wisely. Thx for all the input. I'll post pix when I get it home.... Thx.

You will not be going wrong with the Kubota as far as a quality machine. However it will not cut grass with the Scag. I would say we have abused two Tiger Cats this week but that is not a strong enough word. More like Assaulted or molested two Tiger Cats this week. I honestly wish you could have been here to see it and run a Kubota along side and see the difference. That is where the Scag shines. Tall Bahia Grass is a beast to deal with and we have cut some that has not been cut in 2 and at times 3 weeks because of the weather.

Todd727

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just traded my ZD331 for a Turf Tiger II, (61" Velocity with the B&S Big Block). First mowing with it was within minutes of bringing it home. After 3 hours, I couldn't be more pleased. The ZD would leave taller, stemmed grass uncut. Was very frustrating. I'd bought new blades, new belt, reduced speed, raised the deck, etc. Then I found out that others had the same issues.

The Scag did a perfect job and I ran faster. Ergonomics are great. The suspension seat made for a smooth ride, and I'm cutting former pasture that until last year was bush hogged with a full size farm tractor.

I did miss the hydraulic deck lift, but I'm going to have a stronger right leg for it. :laughing:

I also will miss the ease of fueling diesel from my farm tank and not having to schlep unleaded, but for the price premium of a diesel, I'll deal with it. As far as mechanical reliability, I believe they are both equals, although, I'm also happy to leave the liquid cooling behind. That is just another failure point in my mind.

All in all, the Kubota may have a more recognizable name to the general public, but Scag is a better machine for the job.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just traded my ZD331 for a Turf Tiger II, (61" Velocity with the B&S Big Block). First mowing with it was within minutes of bringing it home. After 3 hours, I couldn't be more pleased. The ZD would leave taller, stemmed grass uncut. Was very frustrating. I'd bought new blades, new belt, reduced speed, raised the deck, etc. Then I found out that others had the same issues.

The Scag did a perfect job and I ran faster. Ergonomics are great. The suspension seat made for a smooth ride, and I'm cutting former pasture that until last year was bush hogged with a full size farm tractor.

I did miss the hydraulic deck lift, but I'm going to have a stronger right leg for it. :laughing:

I also will miss the ease of fueling diesel from my farm tank and not having to schlep unleaded, but for the price premium of a diesel, I'll deal with it. As far as mechanical reliability, I believe they are both equals, although, I'm also happy to leave the liquid cooling behind. That is just another failure point in my mind.

All in all, the Kubota may have a more recognizable name to the general public, but Scag is a better machine for the job.

I was running a ZD 326 Kubota in my business. I was in the process of buying another one as well. I also had and still have a ZG 222 Kubota. I demonstrated a Scag and was literally blown away at the difference. I bought a Tigercat with the 52" Velocity Deck with the 22 Hp Kawasaki on it. The Tigercat with the 52" deck would literally cut circles around the ZD 326. I bought the 326 in April of 2013. I bought the Tiger Cat in July of 2014. I traded the 326 in on another Tigercat in April of 2015. The 326 had a little over 800 hours on it. In April 2016 I bought the Third Tigercat. My oldest now has over 1500 hours on it. The second one has around 1000 hours on it and the third one is clocking towards 600 hours. We operate them under brutal conditions cutting at times acres of Pensacola Bahia grass that is cut on two week cycles. With all of the rain we have had this summer here in Lower Alabama we have at times had to cut some of it that had not been cut in 3 weeks. The Tiger Cats will cut it in one pass without leaving the stubbles sticking up as long as you change blades on them every two to three acres in that kind of cutting. In other kinds of grass they will go longer.

As far as I am concerned the Scag with the Velocity Deck is not even on the same planet as the Kubota as far as being able to do the job. I basically was running a $14K machine and about to buy another one when I went to running $8500 machines that are far superior as far as being able to do the job.

We change blades on the Scags most days twice a day and at times 3 times a day. We run them under some of the most brutal conditions that I can imagine a mower running under and they are ready to go all day every day with little to no problems. We cut an average of 90 properties every two weeks varying from 15 acres down. Many times we can cut a 4 acre property with two Scag Tigercats in an hour from the time they hit the ground till they are going back up the ramp on the trailer. That is hooked up in bi-weekly cut grass. My Kubotas would require us to double cut much of the grass we cut because they would not cut smooth.

If somebody would show me a better mower that was sold locally to where we live I would be running them. I have not seen it yet.

We cut properties that at times people passing on the road will stop and look at where we are cutting and shake their heads and ask, "where did you find that mower. I have to have one of those. That is incredible."

As far as I am concerned there is nothing out there that will out cut the Tiger Cat Scag with the 52" deck literally. We have demonstrated the Turf Tigers with the 61" deck on several occasions and we think that the Tiger Cats with the 52" decks out cut them in tall stemmed grass. Obviously the Tiger Cat has fast ground speed and 9 more inches of width but The cut of the Tiger Cat with the 52" is smoother and it seems to cut grass a little faster than the Turf Tiger will. Although the Turf Tiger has a faster max ground speed.

We can change blades on the Tigercats and grease the spindle bearings in under 10 minutes on two mowers. It would take us 20 minutes or so to change blades on the ZD 326 and it takes longer on the ZG222. We now only use the ZG222 with a bagger system to get up leaves in the winter time.

If a Scag will live for us they will live for anybody. At the end of the day we have gutted anything we run.