Engine engine shuts down with pto

iwilltry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 08 conquest 23hp Briggs. Engine runs fine until pto is engaged then shuts down. I have checked the reverse pedal, cruse switch,pedal switch, rmo, all seem to work fine. When I engage pto there is still spark all the down to zero rpm (I put a tester on plug wire) so power is not cut off to plugs. When I restart,it needs to crank a lot (cylinders are flooded) so it did not shut off fuel. Also with engine not running, probed power line for fuel shut off (to power supply) with key on then engage pto, power remains on. WHAT TO TRY NEXT? Any ideas out there?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a governor problem.
Get some one to engage the PTO while you watch the governor.
When it is engaged the engine should slow slightly then the governor should relax and allow the throttle to open up a bit.

2nd test manually mover the governor arm and see if the engine will remain running with the blades engaged.
Do this over a hard surface with the deck low and watch where your tootsies are.

3rd test same as above without the PTO engaged

iwilltry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice on the governor. It was doing its job ok. Decided to remove the belt from pto,when engaged it still ran,(ruling out all safety switches as problem). Then fuel is suspect in some way, so decided dismantle and clean the dreaded carburetor. It must be (getting to much or to little fuel when pto is engaged) which is the function of the governor, if the carb will allow it. Carb seamed to be ok, reassembled it, and every thing works great. Fixed but can not pinpoint what problem was with the carb. Yes I do use non oxy fuel only.Need to go mow lawn,THANKS!