My Allis Chalmers Homelite T-16

briant

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently bought this for our community Garden but know nothing about it, done a quick search on tinterweb and think I know what model it is but not sure, hoping that you guy's can help.

Also, tried starting it and got a click from the solenoid but would not turn over, there is what looks like a dynamo on the side but cant seem to find a starter motor, is this a combined dynamo/starter?

thanks in advance.

BrianT

Attachments

• IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2806.jpg
    IMG_2806.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2809.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 16

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Recently bought this for our community Garden but know nothing about it, done a quick search on tinterweb and think I know what model it is but not sure, hoping that you guy's can help.

Also, tried starting it and got a click from the solenoid but would not turn over, there is what looks like a dynamo on the side but cant seem to find a starter motor, is this a combined dynamo/starter?

thanks in advance.

BrianT

Yes, that is the starter/generator.

Get a wrench and turn the engine over by hand first to see if it's locked up. Might be interesting to take off the head to see what the piston and cylinder look like.

Probably need to take off the air cooling shrouds to make sure there are no nests or weeds restricting air flow. It'd be a shame to get it running only to burn it up because of that.

briant

Forum Newbie
Threads
Brilliant, Thanks for the info, we have already removed a nest from the battery tray,lol, turns over by hand but sounds like there is a bit of play in the big end bearing :-(.

On another note, the carb seems to be missing an end cap at the bottom, is this correct, I can touch the choke flap.

Thanks,

BrianT:thumbsup:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Brilliant, Thanks for the info, we have already removed a nest from the battery tray,lol, turns over by hand but sounds like there is a bit of play in the big end bearing :-(.

On another note, the carb seems to be missing an end cap at the bottom, is this correct, I can touch the choke flap.

Thanks,

BrianT:thumbsup:

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive and if so, I apologize--but "brilliant?" Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

briant

Forum Newbie
Threads
-but "brilliant?" Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

Lol, no, brilliant in the fact that my suspicions were correct about the dynamo/starter.

All info gratefully received :thumbsup:

BrianT

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh, OK!

I see you're in Scotland. My family was, too. I've traced it back to the year 1100. Back then, the name was "Forbes." I'd like to see Scotland before I croak but slim chance of it happening as I despise traveling by air.

edit: To answer your question, no, you should not be able to touch the choke butterfly. Something is definitely missing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go here http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/ and download the service proceedures for your carb.
DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THE TOP OF THE CARB WITHOUT TAKING THE JETS OUT FIRST.
That is the brass nut at the corner of the elbow and a screw fitting underneath.
You will need to buy the full rebuild kit for your carb which includes a welsh plug for the end of the carb.
That engine predates me by a long shot but I would be fairly sure you will find the generator under the fly wheel.
As this is a community tractor, also get a points replacement kit which converts it to a modern solid state ignition otherwise you will be pulling the flywheel every time you need to use it to clean the points.
Nothing like spending other peoples money.

Keep an eye out for an old 2 stroke Victa push mower.
Behind the carb is a small square metal thing which is a points eliminator.
Being a 2 stroke one, it is not ideal for a 4 stroke , but the price is good as you should find a few of them at the tip / recycle center.
Otherwise the B & S kit is about $ 30 down here so should be around £ 20 over there.

MrDo

Forum Newbie
Threads
The starter/generator could be bad, but first make sure the battery is fully charged and the wires are connected correctly to the S/G. The missing plug on the carb is just that a plug. The only harm is that the carburetor will suck air in by-passing the air filter. Find a small plate that fits and glue it in or even a piece of tape across the opening to block it.
That tractor is the same as a Simplicity 3416 or 7016.