What to do with all the extra time?

Arkansmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a big fan of push mowers just for the exercise. But we bought a new house with two acres of yard to mow. So, I've been bumming an old Craftsman rider from my father-in-law all Spring. It does an okay job for a 20 year old mower, but trailering it 10 miles back and forth from our house to his got old.

A few weeks ago, I bought a new JD 140 at Lowe's. It cut well, but felt weaker (and much more flimsy) than that old Craftsman. My land has some slopes and that thing felt like it was going to throw me, so I took it back. Last week, I decided to just push mow my property. That took around six hours over a couple of days! So, I started looking around again for zero turns. I wanted a Gravely/Ariens, because it seems like they give you more for the money. I could get a Hustler at Lowe's with the exact options of a Gravely ZT X and the Hustler costs $1000 more. Mower shops are the same. Once you get into welded decks, decent engines, and comfortable(ish) seats, the prices get stupid pretty quick.

It's near impossible around here to find any Gravely or Ariens mowers in stock that aren't professional grade. Saturday, I drove an hour and picked up a new ZT X 52". I wanted the XL, but again there's nothing in stock around here. No matter, the thing cut great! It felt stable and strong and handled the slopes in my lawn like a champ. My only complaint is my hands keep going numb. I'ts like riding a bike with ape hangers! I have moved my hands everywhere on the steering sticks and nothing seems to help, other than the occasional hand shake. I'm going to see about lowering them and finding some gloves to wear.

Time will tell if the thing will last as long as the old man's Craftsman, but at least I can get my lawn cut in around an hour now. What do do with all the extra time?

Kevin

tbzep

Threads
Adjust the seat for your arms, not your legs. Set it where you can rest your elbows on the armrests and hold the bars comfortably. You don't have to hold them up top. Use a light grip. Change grip location every little bit to allow changes in circulation.

As for the extra time, I'm sure your wife has a nice long honey do list. :confused2:

Arkansmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Adjust the seat for your arms, not your legs. Set it where you can rest your elbows on the armrests and hold the bars comfortably. You don't have to hold them up top. Use a light grip. Change grip location every little bit to allow changes in circulation.

As for the extra time, I'm sure your wife has a nice long honey do list. :confused2:

I'll do that. Makes sense. And yeah, our new (to us) house has a list a mile long. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
By no means am I trying to play Doctor, but have you ever been checked for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Never knew I
had it till I told the Doc some of my symptoms , numbness in hands (continually gets worse ) arms ache when raised overhead, etc. mine was work related mostly from repetitive motion using hand tools ( mainly powered tools ), just a thought. ..:thumbsup:

Also the operation is out-patient, takes less than an hour, and relief is instant, (they just cut a lil nerve in palm of hand)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm a big fan of push mowers just for the exercise. But we bought a new house with two acres of yard to mow. So, I've been bumming an old Craftsman rider from my father-in-law all Spring. It does an okay job for a 20 year old mower, but trailering it 10 miles back and forth from our house to his got old.

A few weeks ago, I bought a new JD 140 at Lowe's. It cut well, but felt weaker (and much more flimsy) than that old Craftsman. My land has some slopes and that thing felt like it was going to throw me, so I took it back. Last week, I decided to just push mow my property. That took around six hours over a couple of days! So, I started looking around again for zero turns. I wanted a Gravely/Ariens, because it seems like they give you more for the money. I could get a Hustler at Lowe's with the exact options of a Gravely ZT X and the Hustler costs $1000 more. Mower shops are the same. Once you get into welded decks, decent engines, and comfortable(ish) seats, the prices get stupid pretty quick.

It's near impossible around here to find any Gravely or Ariens mowers in stock that aren't professional grade. Saturday, I drove an hour and picked up a new ZT X 52". I wanted the XL, but again there's nothing in stock around here. No matter, the thing cut great! It felt stable and strong and handled the slopes in my lawn like a champ. My only complaint is my hands keep going numb. I'ts like riding a bike with ape hangers! I have moved my hands everywhere on the steering sticks and nothing seems to help, other than the occasional hand shake. I'm going to see about lowering them and finding some gloves to wear.

Time will tell if the thing will last as long as the old man's Craftsman, but at least I can get my lawn cut in around an hour now. What do do with all the extra time?

Kevin

KEVIN.
You have this backwards.
The cheap prices are stupid the expensive prices are reasonable.
This is exactly why the first mower felt flimsey and cheap, because it was built down to a price that people with no mechanical apitude think is "Reasonable "
A chep mower is exactly that cheap and will not last the same 20 years as your dads Craftsman.
Ask him how much it cost as a % of what he was earning at that time and that is the method you use to access the VALUE of the mowers you are looking at.

As for getting used to controlling a ZTR, use the left lever ( if you are right handed ) as a speed control so you only move it with the right in the same direction when going foreward or backward.
use the right hand for steering so move it further forward or backward of your left hand .
After a couple of mows you will have the feel of the mower and will avoid rocketing out of control over her new flower bed.

Lawn Addict
Threads
As for the now having Extra time: blow off the new Z, get a california duster, wipe down the Z, & keep her looking new.

PS: End of our mowing season I do a serious clean up on my Z & it lastly gets waxed, before it's hibernation.

Arkansmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
@Boobala: I know I have some level of Repetitive Stress Injury (or full CTS). I'm a tech guy and use a mouse/keyboard all day. Sometimes, my two smallest fingers on my right hand go numb. A gel mousepad helped that. That said, my whole hands (both) don't usually go numb. I have one notch where I can lower the sticks and that will help me to get my hands lower than my heart, which should help some.

@bertsmobile1: You are right. That's why I drove pretty far to buy a Gravely. My budget is limited so for what I have to spend, I get a LOT more with a Gravely than I could have gotten with other brands I looked at. I'm one of those guys who keeps things forever. My 2001 Ford F250 will probably tow my casket to my funeral. :) Since my budget forced me to buy a residential level Gravely, I fully expect to replace the spindles and hydros one day, but should be mowing with this thing for 20 years. To be honest, everyone who sees my mower can't believe it didn't cost more.

@7394: The thing was covered with dust and grass clippings after my first mow. I couldn't believe it. I let it cool, then gave it some garden hose and it was back to shiny new condition.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Me, I won't ever use a water hose on my Z, I blow it off with my leaf blower or the air hose. Then hit it with the duster.