Need advice on buying a riding mower

Bleach

Threads
I know I still have a lot to learn about riding mowers. This is the only one I've ever owned and I learned a lot about it after nearly 20 years of ownership. I've done all my own work on it.
I've heard them called garden tractors, lawn tractors and riding mowers. I'm sure there are a few others. I wasn't aware of the different engine orientations, drive lines, etc until I came here. I'm hoping with your guys help my next mower will outlast me.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know I still have a lot to learn about riding mowers. This is the only one I've ever owned and I learned a lot about it after nearly 20 years of ownership. I've done all my own work on it.
I've heard them called garden tractors, lawn tractors and riding mowers. I'm sure there are a few others. I wasn't aware of the different engine orientations, drive lines, etc until I came here. I'm hoping with your guys help my next mower will outlast me.

Just duplicate what's shown in your avatar and it will! Love that picture...

There are differences between garden tractors, lawn tractors, and riding mowers.

Garden tractors are the top of the line. Think Kubota BX or John Deere X series. Able to power ground-engaging implements and small backhoes or front end loaders; many are liquid cooled. ~$7K and up.

Lawn tractors are generally the <$2K units you see at Big Box stores. Able to mow and pull a small cart, etc.

Riding mowers are just that--a sub $1K 8 to 10 hp mower upon which you ride, that doesn't resemble a tractor at all. Meant for yards not much bigger than what a push mower will handle.

Bleach

Threads
LOL about my avatar!
Thanks for the education. I guess my machine falls into lawn tractor category but it has a 25hp engine and was capable of towing a heavy load in a cart. It was a very capable machine despite lots of weaknesses.

deminin

Threads

I just looked, and Lowe's has my Husky on sale...$150 off. Besides doing a great job of mowing, there are a couple of things on this mower that I like...which many others in this price range lack...1. armrests on the seat, makes for a comfortable ride, and 2. the deck is reinforced along the sides...so if I scrape up against one of my many trees, I don't bend/damage the deck. Do some comparison shopping...but I don't think you can find more bang for the buck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Yta24V48-24-HP-V-Twin-Automatic-48-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower/999990138

Bleach

Threads
Looks like a nice mower and right in the price range I'm considering, plus it's new!
I didn't even think to look at a box store for a mower like I need.
Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I couldn't get your link to work. Is this the mower you're talking about? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Yta24V48-24-HP-V-Twin-Automatic-48-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower/999990138

That certainly is a lot of 'bang for the buck' as it is about $500 less than what I paid for a 14 hp Cub Cadet 2140 23 years ago. I still have and use the Cub Cadet. It's coming up on 1,000 hours on the clock.

$500 less, 10 horsepower more... You have to wonder, "How can they do that?" What can you buy today for less than it cost in 1994?

edit: My link does the same thing. YOu have to click on the "skip" button, lower right.

Bleach

Threads
Today I decided to pull the #1 cylinder head that was the side that was burning oil. There was some oil in the cylinder but the cylinder bore was still in great shape. The crosshatching was still visible. It looks like maybe one or both of the valves and or guides are bad. I could hear hissing coming from the valve areas when I turned the engine by hand before I pulled the head with the valve cover off. I couldn't hear anything like that on #2.
I'm going to hold off buying another mower for now and either get the head rebuilt of just buy a new head.
I was able to fix my sloppy steering. The shaft from the steering sector broke loose from the gear plate so I welded it back.

WilliamHy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which is the latest riding mower available in market?

Bleach

Threads
I've got my mower running again but now the governor isn't working and I've got another thread going on that. I got the mower working well enough for now so hopefully I don't destroy the engine if I'm careful enough. I had the head worked on and it runs well. I plan on working on it more after I finish mowing what's overgrown. The grass is going dormant from the heat and lack of rain so it'll give me some more time to work on the mower before I have to mow again.

BTW, the latest doesn't always mean the best. There are so many variables when looking for a mower so it all depends on what your needs are. It's kind of like "you don't need a backhoe to plant roses" kind of thing when buying mowers.