Scag STT 72A - PTO CLUTCH Question

scagy

Forum Newbie
Threads
This question is for the guys that know their stuff, not the wanna bee's, please. Besides the numbers and letters, what are the main differences between the GT3.5-MC07 and the GT2.5-MC04 PTO clutch? Which one would you recommend for use on a STT 72A, and why? The clutch currently on the mower is a OGURA GT3-FE02

Thanks in advance

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would be nice if you had posted the serial number of your Turf Tiger, then those of us who may be helpful to you would know exactly which TT model you have.
As for Ogura clutches, the difference between the two clutches that you mention is their torque rating. The GT 3.5 has a higher torque rating than the GT 2.5.
You need to get the Scag part number of the clutch on your machine from your parts manual, then go from there.
I've never seen anything less than a GT 3.5 clutch on a TT, some models with higher HP engines have a GT 5 clutch installed.

scagy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mad,
Thanks for your response, sorry I didn't provide enough information. My mower is a 2005 SCAG Turf Tiger STT72A (72" mower deck)serial #7750414. In my parts manual it shows a scag #461466 for my electric clutch which is Ogura GT3-FE02. When I google #461466 it says it has been superseded and the new number is #461716.
When I search #461716 I get two (2) electric clutches. One is a GT2.5-MC04 with a clutch torque of 150 operating on 12volts/50watts. The second clutch is GT3.5-MC07 with a clutch torque of 300 operating on 12 volts/68watts and says "STT ONLY". When I google the part number on my bad clutch which is Ogura GT3-FE02 and click the link to jthomasparts.com and do a search for scag electric pto clutch, it shows Ferris electric pto clutch MA-GT3.5-MC07. In the specs section for this clutch it says "This clutch is not a replacement for GT3.5-MC07. Which to me is a indication that my bad clutch GT3-FE02 is NOT compatible with the GT3.5-MC07. I am now more confused than ever, since part #461716 shows GT3.5-MC07 to be one of two replacement clutches.
It is my understanding that some of these clutches are designed to work in a clockwise rotation and some are designed to work in a counter clockwise rotation. I sure do not want to invest $300 into a clutch that will not work, or cause more electrical problems such as blowing fuses, or burning out pto switches, etc. Because the clutch is considered an electrical part I will not be able to return it.
I don't want to take it to the dealer because of past experiences of me knowing what is wrong, but the dealer always says it was something other that what was under warranty and I get hit with a hefty bill.

Thanks for your help in advance.