Met A Flat Earther

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was working the other day and met a guy that said he is a Flat Earther. I had never heard of such. I thought literally that this was a joke. He was sincere. I started asking questions after I stopped laughing. Every question I asked him he answered. This was one of the most intriguing conversations I have ever had in a long time. If you have never met one you have missed an interesting discussion.

It makes for an interesting debate with one that knows his stuff on the topic. I am at times easily amused but that was amusing.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
if he got out of line with you, you could push him off the edge

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
if he got out of line with you, you could push him off the edge

First question I asked him where is the edge? He had an answer for that. That is the problem. He has an answer for any question you can ask him. He told me to watch some videos on Youtube. There are many, many of them and they have answers as well. All I can say is that they are fascinating to me.

I thought that the term was literally a joke for all of my life.

RetireeRon

Threads
Never heard of a Flat Earther. How would he explain the countless pictures of the earth from space that clearly depict a round sphere? Sounds like the same people who still refute that man actually landed on the moon!

cashman

Threads
I have a buddy that's an iron worker and recently he worked on construction at Daytona Speedway in Florida when they constructed a whole new seating area over several years and the project was over a mile long. He said the architects had to allow for the curvature of the earth to design it. I had an aunt that lived in Titusville FL and worked near the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. Before the first Apollo mission that landed on the moon lifted off, she came to Alabama and took my Grandmother and Grandfather back to Florida so they could see the liftoff. Not long afterwards I carried my Grandfather to get his hair cut as he was well in his 80's and a guy at the barber shop said he didn't believe that anyone landed on the moon and it was all just a big farce. My granddad spoke up and said "I don't know if they landed on the moon or not, but I saw them leave going somewhere".

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never heard of a Flat Earther. How would he explain the countless pictures of the earth from space that clearly depict a round sphere? Sounds like the same people who still refute that man actually landed on the moon!

If you do research EVERY picture from "space" is a CGI. (Computer Generated Image).

I thought that was not true but I looked and can't find evidence to refute it.

I started watching some of the videos on Youtube about it because I thought they were nuts. It is very interesting to see their theories and how they present them.

I am not convince myself but I promise you if you watch them you will think.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
take a picture with nearly any camera today and it is computer generated image

RetireeRon

Threads
I suppose one could theorize about any subject they choose. That all goes out the window when documented proof shows up. After that, it's all opinion. As sergeant Friday used to say..."just the facts ma'am".

There is no credible way that thousands of pilots, sailers, astronauts and the like could be in collusion with each other and come up with the idea that there is no horizon. Here is a link to an article on the Popular Science site that offers not only detailed explanations as to why the earth cannot be flat, but also easy to understand diagrams and graphics. If you study the eclipse graphics,it clearly shows that the shadow from the earth on the moon is round.

At any rate I got no dog in this hunt. If anyone chooses to believe in a flat earth theory who am I to say they can't believe what they want to? It just surprises me to hear that there are still people out there who choose to believe this. No offense meant to anyone.

http://www.popsci.com/10-ways-you-can-prove-earth-is-round

deck~dragger

Threads
...incredible... have never heard of a Flat Earther. Did a web search and there are actually several societies online. Apparently some members are serious and some not. Why would one join a society they do not agree with? To disagree?
The last thought on my mind today when I signed in to the mower forums is to learn that there are people that still think our planet is FLAT ! No, scrap that, was not the last thing on my mind, actually it was never before a thought in my mind.