Met A Flat Earther

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
...incredible... have never heard of a Flat Earther. Did a web search and there are actually several societies online. Apparently some members are serious and some not. Why would one join a society they do not agree with? To disagree?
The last thought on my mind today when I signed in to the mower forums is to learn that there are people that still think our planet is FLAT ! No, scrap that, was not the last thing on my mind, actually it was never before a thought in my mind.

When I met the guy I honestly did not know that there really were people who today believed that the earth is flat. Needless to say it stretched my curiosity. I started watching videos on it on Youtube. It is definitely very interesting to see some of the arguments that many of them have.

A lot of them present questions that are hard to answer. The ones of Admiral Byrd Exploring Antartica are intriguing as well.

The ones with Airline flights out of the Southern Hemisphere are interesting. As well as the distances one can see from out on the oceans etc.

Lalett

Threads
Perhaps you will invite him to the forum and will we also be able to communicate with him? :smile:

2smoked

Threads
The men of the Apollo missions were the heroes of my youth. I’ve had the opportunity to speak with Col. Frank Borman, who was the commander of Apollo 8, which many of you recall, was the first space mission where men left the security of earth orbit and successfully entered into lunar orbit on Christmas Eve, 1968. I have also heard Gene Kranz, Director of Flight Operations, give his account of what all happened during the Apollo 13 explosion. To hear him speak is absolutely spell binding. The minute-by-minute details that he presents about that mission and the steps that were taken to bring those men back to earth alive, is absolutely breathtaking. The level of dedication that these men possessed and the application of their intelligence and leadership can only be something that history makers are born with.

Now you can believe anything you want to, but when you hear these men give an account that not only comes from their own recollections, but also from the depths of their heart, there is no possible way that it’s all a part of some fanciful conspiracy.

I really miss the NASA of my youth. It’s a crime that in many of our schools today, this effort and time period of our nation’s history is glossed over or largely ignored. I guess you just had to be there.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
Flat earthers are a cult. Cannot be reasoned with. They have trolled other forums I am on. The best way the forums handle it is treat it as a religion, and ban it.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had the distinct honor to actually sit down with Gene Kranz in his home.
He lives about 6 blocks from my daughter's former residence.
What a great guy, and a great American.
He is one of my personal heroes (Chuck Yeager and Chesley Sullenburger are the other 2)

I lived in Orlando during the height of the early manned missions, and could see the rockets rise from my house.
What an electric time for exploration...and I have N O doubt that the events actually happened.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Flat earthers are a cult. Cannot be reasoned with. They have trolled other forums I am on. The best way the forums handle it is treat it as a religion, and ban it.

Exactly right.
If a person does not have the education to understand the maths behind physics while having a deeply suspicious mind then there is no rational way to dispel their beliefs and the ultimate outcome is violence .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Then how come you see the curvature of the earth from great heights?
Flat don't curve.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then how come you see the curvature of the earth from great heights?
Flat don't curve.

You don't! It's an optical illusion caused by the refraction of light as it passes through the atmosphere.

Geesh...you people...you really think the earth is round? Seriously? If it is how come people don't slide off. You ever try to stand on the side of a ball?????

And BTW, I was an Environmental Scientist before my landscaping gig.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
take a look at a Lunar eclipse....

moon_earth_shadow.jpg

A sequential view of the lunar eclipse that occurred on April 15, 2014. You can see Earth's shadow crossing the face of the Moon, and the shadow's shape is curved because Earth is spherical.

How come one side of the earth is dark and one is light? if it were flat, wouln't it be light 24/7

and how come no flat earthers go up to space and take pictures of the "flat earth"?????
Geesh... you people... you really think the earth is flat?

1pep

Threads
I wonder why anyone would even try talking sense to fools. Watch the grass grow or paint drying would be more interesting

Pep