Repairs Tiger Cub Electrical Issues

mrmachinist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I found this site a few hours ago and have been searching for answers.

I have a 2007 Tiger Cub STC48V-19KAI Serial number C1600143.

about a month ago the blades quit while mowing. Still ran and drove fine but no power to the PTO. It ended up being the PTO switch melted. I replaced it and mowed my yard (2 acres) twice and my wife's grandmother's house, rent house, and empty lot (4 acres) once.

The next time i was mowing my yard, the mower died and the battery was dead. Jumped it off and ran fine until i engaged the blades after a few minutes, it died again. I did that cycle a few times until I realized that as it was dying if I turned on the blades it would run fine and the longer I ran without the blades, the longer it would last mowing. I finished my yard and started researching and measuring voltage and amp readings. I even talked to my neighbor who has a 2 year old tiger cat and measured his for comparison.

Today i took the battery to the interstate store and they load tested it and it was bad so I bought their strongest mower battery they had.

mowed half my yard, then died. It would start right up though. ended up burning the 20 amp fuse with the red wires. the fuse holders and wires get very hot when running. the stater voltage is good. My meter shows 0 on the resistance but its a cheap meter and I'm not sure how sensitive it is to get the .01-.1 ohms. the regulator output is 13.8-14.2 volts. at the battery while running its in the high 13's. the PTO is only taking 1.2 amps (neighbors was .3). I wouldn't think that would be enough to burn a fuse.

any ideas?

GFGT

Threads
Until that last sentence, it sounded like my episode where the PTO clutch went bad. While running the engine w/o the PTO, I'd get 13.something at the battery but as soon as I engaged the PTO, that voltage would drop to 11.something.

I ohmed the clutch and was getting less than an ohm where I'd found where it should have been something like 2.5-3 ohms. The bad PTO burned up the PTO switch and blew a fuse and drained the battery while running.

mrmachinist

Forum Newbie
Threads
I played with it some more yesterday and after rechecking over everything, my pto resistance was at 0-.1 so I ordered a new clutch. I had checked it previously and it was at 2.3 so I didn't think it was the problem.

hopefully the clutch fixes it. I got a chance to clean her up yesterday and hopefully I will be able to locate my small hydraulic leak as well.

thanks for the reply

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I played with it some more yesterday and after rechecking over everything, my pto resistance was at 0-.1 so I ordered a new clutch. I had checked it previously and it was at 2.3 so I didn't think it was the problem.

hopefully the clutch fixes it. I got a chance to clean her up yesterday and hopefully I will be able to locate my small hydraulic leak as well.

thanks for the reply

Check the wires from the plug to the switch very carefully, they crack break & short out quite a lot

mrmachinist

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was waiting for the UPS man this afternoon to show up with my new clutch. He showed up about 2 hours later than normal. I installed and burnished the clutch and mowed half of my yard before dark. so far so good. The fuses did not get hot like they were last weekend. Im going mow my extra yards tomorrow about 5 acres and finish mine. We will see how it does.

So far I put a new interstate batttery (the biggest CCA they had in a Lawn mower battery)
and an Xtreme Pto clutch. I ordered it direct from them for $229. The specs look better than an OEM and I have a buddy that has been running one for a year with no issues so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Ill update this thread if I have any more issues. Thanks for the input.